The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

drying soil?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: drying seeds...Save JFE| Next thread: Dudleya "white sprite" »
Back to Thread index
by Tulip on May 17, 2005 03:54 PM
Im having problems with my plants being to wet.. Im going to go buy new soil today and replant them with dry soil.. any suggestons on the type of soil? All my plants are indoor... also.. is there a way that I can maybe dry out the old soil? maybe on a baking sheet or something and then reuse it? [dunno]

~Tulip~
by phoenix on May 17, 2005 04:37 PM
[wayey] tulip,
what type of soil are you currently useing? i use miracle gro houseplant soil. i have great results with it [thumb] you can dry your current soil on a baking sheet that process will also kill any bacteria or mold spores that may be in your soil as well( i'm not saying there is [Big Grin] but we never know) hope this helps you [Wink]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Tulip on May 17, 2005 05:19 PM
Hi Phoenix! [wayey]

Thanks for your help! Im not totally sure what kind of soil I used.. but I will pick up the brand you suggested today and start drying my soil out! any suggestions about a dying spiderplant?

~Tulip~
by phoenix on May 17, 2005 05:31 PM
what makes you think the "spider" is dying?
are you overwatering it maybe not enough/too much light? tell me about the symptoms and we'll see if i have a [thinker]

-
 -
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Tulip on May 17, 2005 05:38 PM
Hi Phoenix!

Well my poor spider plant .. it was doing really well in the hanging basket I got it in.. it was huge!! I transplanted it to a rather large basket and all of a sudden the babies off of it have brown crunchy dried up looking leaves in the center of the babies..and I only have 2 babies off of the plant now..and they dont look that healthy.. I moved the plant into more light when i saw this happen and I havent watered it for like a week now..I do belive I was over watering it.. I just want to bring it back to life in anyway I can .. thats why im going to buy new soil.. I also heard somewhere that the ph in the water might have something to do with it? and to use bottled water to water it? [dunno]
I live in newfoundland and theres not to much sun light at the moment.

~Tulip~
by phoenix on May 17, 2005 05:44 PM
hey tulip,
you know what i do? i have a water cooler jug that i fill up with water and let it sit for 24 hrs. that aqllows the "bad chemicals" in the water to evaporate. i just fill my watering cans with water from my jug and the plants "tell" me they appreciate it [Wink] that may help your spider [thumb]

-
 -
by Tulip on May 17, 2005 05:51 PM
thanks phoenix for all your help.. so just let my water sit at room tempeture is a different jug? sounds good to me.. normally I always have water in my watering can and its on top of the fridge.. im thinking this is the same procdure. Ill try the new soil.. that might help. Do you think i should put the baby spider plant I have in a glass of water in soil.. there are not any roots as i can see yet.
thanks again for all your help!

~Tulip~
by QuincyKel on May 17, 2005 05:57 PM
Hey Tulip...
Everything that pheonix said is what I have heard previously...good info. [thumb] If you are really worried about overwatering, you can buy one of those water meters, or even mix sand in wiht the soil. This will cause it to drain a little better. I don't know what the rest of your plants are, but maybe they would benefit. I don't know if that helps or not, but good luck with the plants. Also, maybe after you repotted the spider plant, it was a little "shocked" I have had this happen to some of my plants before, and they recover after their roots grow out a little. [dunno]
by phoenix on May 17, 2005 05:57 PM
quote:
I always have water in my watering can and its on top of the fridge
same process. i wouldn't put the "baby" in soil until it's rootd develop a little [Wink] [thumb]
and your very welcome [grin]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: drying seeds...Save JFE| Next thread: Dudleya "white sprite" »
Back to Thread index