The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Californian Prairie planting in the UK.

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: California White Sage| Next thread: Call me green! »
Back to Thread index
by DanielNewman007 on February 22, 2006 11:24 PM
Hello all,

I'm just starting to develop my Prairie planting scheme for my sunny and well-drained border.

I currently have lots of grasses for this area (small carex's and large Switch Grasses), plus Rudbeckia Goldstrum, and some sedum's. I'll also be adding some Achillea (Yarrow) for some height, probably in yellow or orange.

However, most of this planting is herbaceous, so I have no evergreen or winter interest. is there something typically Prairie styled that I could use to fill this void?

Either a small bush (1 meter tall) or some interesting evergreen plants? As far as I know, I'm zone 7, although not sure how this compare to USAD zone 7?
by peppereater on February 22, 2006 11:49 PM
There are various types of yucca that would look great in your planting. The prickly pear cactus grows im most prairie states. Green santolina and grey santolina are very attractive, but may freeze back some years.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by peppereater on February 22, 2006 11:51 PM
Let me also suggest rosemary...mine has survived sub-zero temperatures in a clay pot...very tough, and fits your scheme, I'd say. Sage would be very appropriate.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by alankhart on February 23, 2006 06:52 AM
Perhaps Heather, or cold hardy Lavenders.

-
 -
 -
by DanielNewman007 on February 23, 2006 08:00 PM
Interesting ideas. I like the look of the cactus, just not sure if this would cope with our UK climate? Worth investigating though. Sage and rosemary are both hardy enough, and I think perhaps a purple sage would look really nice in the scheme. Thanks very much, I'll consider these.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: California White Sage| Next thread: Call me green! »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: