The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Aloe Leaf Problem

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Aloe juvenna| Next thread: Aloe leaves thinning Help! »
Back to Thread index
by Lily789 on May 16, 2005 04:52 AM
Hi [wayey]
My aloe plant is having a leaf problem! The base of the leaf, where it connects to the stem, becomes brown and dried up. The rest of the leaf looks fine, just the base has a problem. I found three affected leaves today...what is the problem? What can I do? Thanks for any help!

~Lily
by pcgrav on May 16, 2005 05:54 AM
Lily,
It sounds like you might have a case of crown rot... Do you keep the soil very moist all the time?? If so remove the damaged leaves by using a clean pair of sharp scissors right at the base where it is brown and then let the soil dry out before watering again. Aloe is a succulent which means its the type of plant that holds moisture for a while,so don't worry too much about not watering it enough... Hope this helps you and your aloe!!

-
 - Each day is a new beginning...What you begin is your choice.
 - The pleasure you receive from life is equal only to the attitude you put into it.
by dulcevoce on May 16, 2005 06:32 AM
Hi Lily,
Pc gave good advice. Aloe needs to go totally dry before watering again. If it is in a plastic pot, it stays moist a lot longer, but in a clay pot it loses the moisture faster. I would suggest a moisture indicator that you stick down into the pot. Good luck. Jane

-
by tkhooper on May 16, 2005 02:43 PM
my moisture indicator for aloe is my index finger to the second knuckle lol. [Big Grin] I have cactus potting soil in the non-draining planter so I have to be very careful. It's the only thing I had that was wide enough to accomodate its roots.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Aloe juvenna| Next thread: Aloe leaves thinning Help! »
Back to Thread index