The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Musa Sumatrana - Sickly

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by donefortherest on January 17, 2006 11:59 AM
Just got a Blood Bannana seedling in the mail and it looked a little droopy. I potted it and gave it a bit of water with quarter strength fert and liquid karma. I thought the water and the micro nutrients would help perk it up.

It's gotten worse each day, with the few leaves it has going mostly yellow, and the top leaf mostly drying out. I have it under two flourescent lights right now 24/7.

Is it just adjusting and will bounce back, or have I done anything to mess it up bad? I've never grown this variety of banana and it's the first time I've gotten a pup to start with. Any tips are appreciated.
by margaret e. pell on January 20, 2006 05:26 AM
First of all, plants "sleep" just like you do - lights 24/7 will kill it. They have different gas exchanges and metabolisms in light and darkness and need to be able to do both. Fresh soil has all the nutrients it needs, even soil without added fertilizers. Welcoming a new plant into your home is a gentle thing, it's already having a big change, you don't want to shock it. It's not going to start rampant growth immediately, you want to give it time to adjust to its new normal. A little water, some light, and time. Let it surprise you with its new leaves, don't try to force it.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: