The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

geranium cuttings?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by plants 'n pots on January 20, 2006 09:17 PM
 -

I've been able to overwinter these "seedling" geraniums pretty well so far this year. They are the 99 cent type that you get at the box stores in the summer. I'd like to cut them back to hopefully make them a bit bushier, as the bottom leaves are browning and dying off, and would like to root the cuttings. I've not been successful at rooting them, to date.

Any suggestions?

-
 -
 - Lynne's knitting journal  -  -  -
"I'm spayed, declawed, and housebound - how's YOUR day going???"
by weezie13 on January 20, 2006 10:18 PM
How have you been rooting them??
The technique??

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by plants 'n pots on January 20, 2006 10:32 PM
Hi Weezie - how are you doing today?

I've done the water in a jar, and also putting the stems in a damp paper towel and then zipping a plastic bag around the stem. The latter got some roots, but the plants didn't grow after planting in soil.

-
 -
by weezie13 on January 20, 2006 10:51 PM
Doing better!!!

Have you tried taking the tip/stem and snip it,
make sure you have several leaves on them..
Strip the bottom 2 or 3 leaves, then
dip rooting hormone on the bottom,

I I know with a rose cutting, you have to take a stem that is flowering, and snip the flower..
Might work with the same concept..
DUNNO???

If you got a pusyywillow or regular willow tree
around, take a stem or two or three and stick them in some water/watering can and then let
them "Steep" in the water.. and then water the
geranium cutting with that water..
I know the willow cutting/water has rooting hormones' supposedly will steep into the water..
and may help also root them...

Maybe try the layering concept time...
Take one of the stems, layer it on the side of the dirt in the pot/container... and strip the set of leaves that would touch the dirt.. and put something on top of it, to hold the stem on top of the dirt and make contact...

Might work that way too..

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by Marian on January 20, 2006 10:53 PM
I have the best success with letting the cuttings dry out for a few hours , then inserting them in moist potting soil . Keep them on the dry side until new growth starts .
I even stick cutings in the same pot as the mother plant ,( If it is in a large enough pot ) , and they soon start growing .
I hope this helps .

-
by plants 'n pots on January 20, 2006 10:59 PM
Thanks Weezie and Marian. [kissies]

I've tried sticking the cuttings in with mother plants, but with very limited success.

I do have rooting hormone. No willows around here though. Think I'll try a few of the methods mentioned and I'll let you know. [thumb]

-
 -
by rogmee on January 21, 2006 10:39 AM
Here's a good link

http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohort/426-002/426-002.html

The paragraph on temperature, I think, is dead on.

I've had limited success with Geraniums and Wax Begonias. I'm going to try the perlite and vermiculite medium next time around.

Roger
by Marian on January 21, 2006 11:01 PM
I never use rooting hormone , but I do let them dry out on the cut end before planting them .

-
by Oui on January 21, 2006 11:13 PM
Geranium's are the only plant I have ever been able to ever root. Which means it has got to be the easiest for anybody..Cuz I am not good at this at all..All I do is break them at a joint and stick them in the ground..No kidding they just start growing...
by obywan59 on January 23, 2006 05:03 PM
When I was taking my Greenhouse Production class they taught us that geranium cuttings should be kept in the refrigerator overnight before planting so that the cuts would be encouraged to dry and begin to callous up. You'll lose a lot less to rot this way. I put them in plastic bags and spray just a little water in with them so they don't wilt too much, but the water might not be necessary. Cutting just below a joint like Oui said is a good idea as they tend to root a lot better there.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by plants 'n pots on January 23, 2006 09:36 PM
Thanks for all the great responses! [thumb]
So far, I've taken 3 cuttings, let the stem tips dry out, dipped them in rooting hormone, and stuck them in damp soil that has mostly peat and perlite.

It's day 3 and they are still looking pretty good.

-

-
 -
by dodge on March 09, 2006 10:08 AM
Guess I flunk on rooting geraniums ..I just cut mine and put them in water and have roots right now.

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by comfrey on March 09, 2006 10:43 AM
I have a book called "The Joy of Geraniums" and it says you can do them in water by removing the bottom leaves and place in glass of water in a light but not sunny window. Or you can pack a small wad of damp soil or un milled sphagnum moss around the cut end and insert it in the soil at the side of one of the mature plants. In less then a month it will be self supporting and ready for a life of its own in a 2-1/2 or 3 inch pot.
Select tips of firm but not woody growth. Let each piece have two or three small joints (nodes) Dip the ends in hydrated lime to prevent decay (rooting hormone)
The indoor temperature needs to be around 60 degrees for best results (cool room)

-
 -
by patches1414 on March 09, 2006 12:35 PM
I've never had any luck with rooting geraniums in water, but had great success with stem cuttings. I dip the tip in rooting hormone and put them in moist (not wet) Pro-Mix to root. [thumb]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by weezie13 on March 10, 2006 10:58 PM
Did you know you can also shake the dirt off of
the geranium plant, hang up side down in a cool basement for the winter, and then re~pot up in the spring and it'll be good to go....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

by patches1414 on March 11, 2006 08:03 AM
Yes Weezie, I've tried that but didn't have much luck with it. [Frown] I've talked to a lot of people who've been successful doing it that way, but I think my basement probably isn't cool enough. [Frown]

patches [kitty]

-
 -
"Lord, I love you and I need you, come into my heart, and bless me, my family, my home, and my friends, in Jesus' name. Amen!"
by weezie13 on March 11, 2006 09:17 AM
My Granny did it alot, I can remember
them hanging in the back basement...
*their furnace was in that room, I remember it
being warm, but not as warm as the house.*

I don't remember her actually taking them down and repotting them or anything, but I know she
had bunches and bunches of them....

Weezie

-
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: