The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Houseplant on Radiator cover?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Houseplant on Radiator cover?| Next thread: Houseplant pest ID? »
Back to Thread index
by corj on May 05, 2005 07:00 PM
I have a small window that gets good light. problem is there is no ledge and a small old-fashioned radiator underneath.

I was thinking of building a radiator cover to put a few plants on top.

Is this a bad idea? I`m sure I saw this done with Orchids on saucers with water+pebbles...??
by Dixie Angel on May 05, 2005 07:06 PM
[wayey] Corg! Welcome to the board!

Wouldn't the heat from the radiator damage the plants? [dunno]

Dianna

-
 -
by rozy221 on May 10, 2005 05:18 AM
Welcome Corj! [wayey] Yes, you can absolutely put plants on radiator covers, but you have to be careful. In front of ALL of my windows are radiators, and downstairs, they all have covers-old fashioned, steel(?) 2-piece covers. One advantage to having covers is that you can put a tray of water under the cover, creating more humidity. You'll also have to watch the humidity and moisture on any plants you have there, but it's not hard. I have my crotons, which I did have a small spider mite prob a while ago, but with regular misting, it's fine now, a cactus plant, mother of millions, lucky bamboo, and my pointsetta, which seems determined to make it into the book of world records-still in full flower on the radiator on the north. I think it may help, having things on radiators, as long as you're very careful about watering and misting-I think it creates an environment more similar to many plants' natural climate. Good luck!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Houseplant on Radiator cover?| Next thread: Houseplant pest ID? »
Back to Thread index