The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

racoons digging up my lawn

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Rachel's Nest| Next thread: Radical Surgery »
Back to Thread index
by wuhu on September 15, 2006 12:34 AM
I recently re-seeded my lawn and have been (until last week), enjoying a beautiful lush green landscape. In comes the problem! Racoons! They are digging up my lawn in various areas and totally ruining all of my hard work. I have heard of leaving a radio on and urine but I really would like to learn of other ways to get rid of these mean and destructive pests or at least stop them from visiting my lawn nightly!
Any suggestions PLEASE!
by The Plant Doc on September 16, 2006 04:42 AM
The coons are more then likely out there digging up grubs. It happens this time of the year, and again in the late spring. The best way to counter the coons is by eliminating the grubs from your lawn. This can be done with an application of grub preventer in the spring time. One application lasts the entire season if applied correctly.
Please see the other thread in the lawn care category concerning grubs for a lot more information.
At this point youwill need to put down a grub killer, not preventer. There are many on the market, just make sure you follow the directions on the label, and water it in very well!
The radio may keep them away for a little while, maybe a few hours at best, and the urine won't do a thing. It is a Madison Avenue gimick. It does nothing to scare the critters away. That is why hunters use it as a cover scent when hunting.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Rachel's Nest| Next thread: Radical Surgery »
Back to Thread index