The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

candied sweet potatoes

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
« Prev thread: Candied Sweet Potatoes| Next thread: Candied Violet or Pose Petals »
Back to Thread index
by Jiffymouse on November 14, 2004 05:01 PM
candied sweet potatoes:
  • half cup (one stick) butter or margarine
  • 1/2-1 c dark karo syrup (or molasses if you are a molasses fan, i personally hate the stuff)
  • 1 c dark brown sugar
  • how ever many sweet potatoes your family will eat, peeled, and cut either into rounds (about 1/4" thick, give or take) or cut into stick like thick steak fries...
melt butter in nonstick or heavy (like cast iron) pan (my mil uses an electric skillet). add the syrup and brown sugar. stir until well mixed and melted. add sweet potatoes a little at a time, coating well with each addition. when all potatoes are in pan (don't matter how many you add, as long as there is room in the pan to stir) put a lid on it and turn it down to simmer. let simmer, stirring occasionally while you cook the rest of the meal. the moisture in the potatoes will cook into the glaze and the potatoes will get tender and shrink. serve with what ever goes good with anything sweet like that.... usually turkey, ham, or pork roast. warning though, i have seen grown men come to blows over what is left after the meal [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
by linda12159 on November 15, 2004 02:33 AM
jiffymouse....this will be alot better than the usual canned sweets!
you mentioned an electric skillet, i have one of those but no lid.....hmmmm....i guess foil would work just as well......you think??
and i agree on the molasses [Frown] ewwwww....karo's the way to go. it seems awfully easy. never knew using the real sweets was that easy [dunno]
thanks, Linda
p.s. i'll let you know how they loved it..... [thumb]

-
learn from others mistakes....you can't live long enough to make them all yourself
by Jiffymouse on November 17, 2004 11:25 PM
foil, or a cookie sheet, or a pizza pan. doesn't have to be air tight, just something for the condensation to drip from.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Candied Sweet Potatoes| Next thread: Candied Violet or Pose Petals »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: