The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Purple Passion

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: purple or wandering jew| Next thread: Purple Passion »
Back to Thread index
by tkhooper on April 17, 2005 01:52 AM
I saw one of these at Lowe's today and thought it would work in my other hanging basket. And wouldn't you know it, I forgot the potting soil. Do you think it would have a fit if I used some regular dirt from the weed patch. That's all I have until the 3rd of May. Or should I just leave it in it's little pot until then?

-
 -
by SharonSEVirginia on April 17, 2005 05:47 AM
Hi TKHooper!

Purple passion is such a fun hanging plant, (we got one from an aunt in Florida many years ago (along with a single bromeliad) and we are still nursing it along. We bring ours outdoors in spring and hang it under an east eve, and it revives every year - and looks gorgeous into the fall once it regains its color. It needs bright light to maintain it's purple color and it produces such pretty pink flowers. When we bring it indoors for the winter it slowly loses it's color and often some leaves. It's easy to cut off stems in pieces in several inch lengths with several joints on each piece. Simply poke holes in the soil and place the stem in the hole with at least one joint beneath the soil (from which it will root) and at least one joint above the soil (from which new leaves will sprout) and keep it moist (I do this in spring before I set it outdoors). It dries out easily and will lose leaves, so though it likes bright light - not direct sunlight and not too dry. It likes moisture (but not drowning) and likes it's leaves misted. Even though in our experience it doesn't do well as a house plant over winter - it jumps back to life every spring once we bring it back outdoors. One year I planted one plant next to one of our garden ponds and it did great until it got too hot. I should have moved it to an area that had more shade. I may try that experiment again this year, only in a shaded area.

I'd think your plant should be ok until you can repot it in May, but maybe someone here knows better. I don't have any information about this plant, so this is just my experience with it - so I hope someone that has more experience than I, or a good link about the plant and it's care/requirements will post as I'd like to find out more about it myself.

I think you'll enjoy this plant, I know I do!

Sharon
by tkhooper on April 17, 2005 12:32 PM
It is pretty, I have it under a florescent light. Hopefully that will help. The tag that came with it says it requires a 20-20-20 fertilizer every other week. I have miracle grow house plant food 8-7-6. Does anyone know where I can get 20-20-20 fertilizer?

-
 -
by tkhooper on April 18, 2005 04:01 PM
The plant has one vine where all the leaves are dead on it. Should I cut that vine down to the dirt?

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: purple or wandering jew| Next thread: Purple Passion »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: