The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

centipedes in house plants

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: centipedes| Next thread: centipedes in house plants »
Back to Thread index
by jbo on April 14, 2005 12:57 AM
I recently bought a house plant, I don't know what it is, kinda looks like a fern or palm. When I watered it about a week after buying it, cetipedes started coming out of it! Help! I don't want bugs in my house (right now it's on the balcony), but I really like this plant. What can I do?
by tkhooper on April 14, 2005 02:07 AM
Is it centepedes or millepedes that are poisonous? I'm thinking it's the centepedes so be very very careful.

-
 -
by connie mounsey on April 14, 2005 01:45 PM
I have a palm that I found little dead centepedes in at the base of it. I haven't seen any live ones yet. Maybe it is a palm thing? Now I am curious about them! Connie

Without faith life has no meaning.
by jbo on April 15, 2005 07:06 AM
Definetly centipedes....the ones I've seen are about an inch long (uuugghhh). They're way down in the soil, I don't see them on the surface, just in the drainage holes in the bottom of the pot. What can I use to kill them and not harm the plant?
by tkhooper on April 15, 2005 09:19 AM
jbo,

paste your post down in plant pests and problems I think you'll get a better response ok? If I knew of something I would definitely tell you but I just don't know.

-
 -
by Jiffymouse on April 17, 2005 06:16 AM
well, anytime i've wanted to kill a pest in a potted plant, i put the plant in room temp water, all the way up to the top of the pot (sit it in a 5 gallon bucket - that works well, then add the water to the bucket). after about an hour, i put the plant in the bathtub and let it drain really well. a bath like that won't hurt it, but it will drown the problems!
by SharonSEVirginia on April 18, 2005 04:35 PM
Hi JiffyMouse,
The drenching sounds like a fairly simple and harmless way to handle the live critters, but what about unhatched eggs?
by jbo on April 18, 2005 07:11 PM
That's exactly what I was thinking! Although it is an excellent idea! I'm pretty sure this plant was hothouse grown, so who knows what kind of breeding cycle these guys are in!
by Jiffymouse on April 21, 2005 02:18 AM
you can "dunk" the plant every time you need to water it, so you can kill them. and even if you have to "water" the plant a little more than you would normally, if you let it drain well...

another thing you can do, which will probably work better, is after you dunk it the first time, re pot it. just shake off all the loose soil and discard it. that way, you will have dry soil to put in the pot and you can water it again sooner.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: centipedes| Next thread: centipedes in house plants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: