The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Weed Killer

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: weed extermination| Next thread: Weed N Feed in the fall? »
Back to Thread index
by sapphire on May 10, 2006 11:36 AM
I have heard that Ortho Weed -B-Gone is the best weed killer spray there is or at least close to it. The commercials show that it does not kill the grass. I have a very large yard and of course I get the ever present Dandilions and they spread faster than any rumor I could think of. So I need to spray large areas.
Will the Weed -B -Gone kill my grass?

Also is Scott's "Southern Lawn " fertilizer and turf builder good? It is suppose to hold up to Southern Lawns, I just want to make sure before I go and spend the money. I have two acres of grass, that is a lot of money for something that may not work. It may be a little late in the season to use it though, I did not treat my lawn this year with anything yet.

quote:

To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children....to leave this world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded....Ralph Waldo Emerson
by The Plant Doc on May 10, 2006 12:26 PM
Check the label for the type of grass that you have, Weed Be Gone is safe for most lawns if used as directed.

As far as the fertilizer goes, I am not all that knowledgeable in the southern grasses and what their particular needs are. I am sure someone else is here and will answer your question.

2 acres of grass is an awful lot of lawn to walk around with a hand can spraying the weeds, you may be better off having a lawn service come in and do a couple of sprayings to get them under control, and then you could follow up with your own spot applications.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by peppereater on May 10, 2006 05:23 PM
Sapphire...just a little good natured teasing here, but WHY on EARTH would you try to keep 2 acres of grass manicured?
That is the equivalent of 8 to 10 city lots. That amounts to 8 to 10 times the time and expense of an average family's yearly lawn care output.
If a significant amount of that area is in shade, then you have a lot less maintenance...
potentially. And the opportunity to have lots of low maintenace shade gardens, as opposed to grass.
Regardless, mulch mowing can supply up to 90% of your fertilizing needs, and cutting the grass taller...depends on the variety...can eliminate some of the weeds. I'd concentrate on one specific area of the lawn to be weed free, if any. I don't mind a few weeds is the lawn is lush and green...and concentrate on a good, vibrant and healthy lawn for the rest. Mulch mowing, a good watering regime and proper mowing are more important than any amount of chemical fertilizing and herbicide.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by stormcloud on May 11, 2006 03:05 AM
hi i find that if you dig the dandilion out first then spay the hole really good then fill the hole and then wait. you may have a 4 inch spot but the weed is gone and will never return and the grass will take over. for good mesure spead a handful of grass seed in the spots for quick fixes

let me know if this works for you
stormcloud

when life deals you crap,just flush
by sapphire on May 11, 2006 10:42 AM
Thanks for information. I will try it.
by Longy on May 11, 2006 12:22 PM
Hi sapphire, i also have a few acres of grass, i won't call it lawn. It was invaded with broadleaf weeds too. I mow the grass longer, allowing all the clippings to return to the soil. It has now outcompeted most of the broadleaf weed, though not all. A good dose of dolomite/aglime over the whole area also assisted as i have fairly sour soil. If your soil Ph is low, this may be why the weeds are able to do so well. In my opinion, chemicals such as broadleaf weedkillers are a treatment for the symptom and do little to improve the actual cause of the problem. If neighbouring properties are also full of the same weeds and they are allowed to flower and seed, then the broadleaf weeds will be back next year regardless.

-
The secret is the soil.
by johnCT on May 12, 2006 01:35 AM
Just a quick warning, WBG shouldn't be applied to St. Augustine or Centipede. They do have a special formula for those turfgrasses though. Not sure if you have these turf varieties on your property. Otherwise, WBG is safe if used as directed on the label. Also, it comes in a hose-end sprayer bottle that will cover most of your yard. This will get you the upper hand, but ultimately, you MUST get the turf healthy and thick to prevent future infestations. A thick, healthy truf is FAR better at preventing weeds than any herbicide you can apply.

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: weed extermination| Next thread: Weed N Feed in the fall? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: