The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Ming/Parsley Aralia Propagation

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Ming Aralia email ?| Next thread: Mini Bouquets »
Back to Thread index
by CityPlant on January 14, 2006 08:16 AM
I have a couple healthy aralias that I would like to grow new ones from. How do I do that?

Thanks!
by Cricket on January 14, 2006 10:04 AM
Mings can be propagated by tip cuttings. Take several green cuttings (older, woody stems are better propagated by air-layering) of about 5-6", pot them together in a small pot with dampened sterile, peat-base potting mix, tent the cuttings in a plastic bag into which you've blown air, then seal and place the cuttings in a warm, bright location. Plastic tenting retains the humidity necessary for the leaves to survive until roots form. To lessen the risk of fungal infections, ensure the plastic bag is large enough that the leaves don't touch the the plastic once filled with air. Should condensation form within the tent, open it long enough to lower the humidity, then reseal after refilling with air. Check the soil regularly and water only if necessary (soil should be damp but not soggy). Once new growth appears (about 5-8 weeks, perhaps longer this time of year), gradually remove the tenting over several days.

Patience is key and remember Mings are not the easiest plants to propagate, so don't be discouraged if you don't first succeed. Best of luck!
by CityPlant on January 16, 2006 09:06 AM
Thank you for the very quick and detailed instructions! [Smile]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Ming Aralia email ?| Next thread: Mini Bouquets »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: