The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Taking Care Of Palms.... Help!

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by Smh023 on April 11, 2005 09:10 PM
 -
 -

My boyfriend just bought these gorgeous palms. Which I’m assuming they are palms I do not know the common name for this particular one.
But he has left it up to me to care for this plants (which I don’t mind) but I want to make sure I don’t kill them.
So I was wondering could you tell me how often I should water them? And any other care I need to know about.
I watered them a week ago when we repotted them.
by connie mounsey on April 11, 2005 10:06 PM
I had bought 3 palms last year and killed one of them before I realized that they were dying for water. I water mine several times a week, but not a bunch of water all at once. I just stick my finger in the soil and make sure it is not too dry.

Connie

Without faith life has no meaning.
by phoenix on April 11, 2005 10:17 PM
NICE PALMS, i do the finger thing too,its a good trick if yoour not sure whether or not to water.
just stick your finger in the soil about an inch or so and if it feels dry i water [grin]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by Smh023 on April 11, 2005 10:43 PM
Oh ok well I'm glad I asked bc my boyfriends neighbor told me that they rarely need water. He claimed that he just got a Palm and that is what he was told when he bought his.
It has been a week so I will check the plants today.
I really love these plants; they are so big and pretty! It was a chore to repot them though. Haha but worth it so I really DON’T want them to die.
Thanks!
by connie mounsey on April 12, 2005 02:26 PM
I have a palm just like yours and until I started really watering it well it didn't do anything but sit there. Now that I have been watering it way more it has put 4 new big leafs on. I had read that brown tips on these plants meant lack of humidity or water and all my poor leaves had brown tips.

By the way...they are gorgeous! Looks like you have tall ceilings.

Connie

Without faith life has no meaning.
by Smh023 on April 12, 2005 07:05 PM
Thanks so much!
I watered them yesterday and I watered them enough to wet the entire tope of the soil.
I didn’t know that they needed to be watered so much but I will keep my eye on them now!
They are really pretty and I love them!!
I will spray them with a water bottle to help with humidity. If I can find a way to reach the top! haha.
Yes my boyfriend has a gorgeous house with vaulted ceilings.
The plants just finish his house; it seems so "homey" now.
He is happy that he got the plants.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: