The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Grape hyacinth in lawn

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Grand Slam Water Lotos| Next thread: Grape Hyacinth question.... »
Back to Thread index
by Land rover on April 17, 2006 12:56 AM
My lawn is being invaded by grape hyacinth and nothing seems to control it apart from digging it up. Even then, if every bulb is not found, it comes back with a vengence.

I was told that 2,4-d would control it but all it seems to do it to encourage it.

I feel guilty as some people seem to think it pretty but it isn't their lawn it is taking over.

Ideas anyone?
by loz on April 17, 2006 12:59 AM
I like them in the flowerbeds, but I wouldn't like it overtaking my yard.

I never planted any before but I have some coming up down in the yard.....

Someone coming through here will have an answer for you! [thumb]
by The Plant Doc on April 17, 2006 10:19 AM
A very interesting question!
Maybe you are spraying them at the wrong time.
2.4.-D should take care of the problem easily, however if you are spraying while the plant is still in bloom, it may not be effective. Since it is a bulb during that stage of its life it is living off the food which is stored in its bulb. After the bloom finishes it will start taking in nutrients once again, and at that point I think the application would be more effective. I would also suggest not mowing the area at all until you have sprayed it and it has had at least 24 hours to soak into the plant. This will give it a maximum leaf area to hit.
This is just a guess, but I think it should work.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by peppereater on April 19, 2006 04:24 AM
2,4-D is not a broad spectrum herbicide, it is primarily for broadleaf. I don't know whether it has any effect on grape hyacinth or not, but any broad spectrum, such as roundup, would work, but if you have cool season grass, you can't spray unless you do it VERY carefully. Hold a sheet of cardboard between the foliage and the grass, and spray sparingly.
Another thing about grape hyacinth, though, is that it reseeds itself readily. And it needs to store energy in order to create new bulbs...the point being, that if you mow closely as soon as it emerges, and keep mowing, it will neither produce seed, nor have time to form bulbs. You won't have to look at it, and after a couple of years, it should be mostly if not entirely gone. And you won't have had to use chemicals.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by The Plant Doc on April 19, 2006 07:30 AM
I really think land rover would rather not kill his lawn. Actually with the exception of grassy weeds, it is a very broad spectrum herbicide.
NEVER spray round up on your lawn unless you want a bunch of dead spots...trust me on this one!

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by peppereater on April 19, 2006 11:01 PM
I never said he should spray it ON his lawn. You're right, though, it's batter to be safe than sorry...any overspray would be bad, indeed.
What do you think of the close mowing, Mike? [dunno]

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by joclyn on April 20, 2006 02:01 AM
well, geez! dig 'em up and send 'em my way!!! [Big Grin]

i'd love to have more of them!!
by johnCT on April 20, 2006 02:17 AM
2,4-D by itself is not a very versatile or "broad spectrum" herbicide and, in fact, is only effective on a handful of broadleaf weed types if used by itself. It is, however, commonly used as a component in many commercially available post-emergent broadleaf weed control products, like Ortho's Weed-B-Gon, along with other chemicals like MCCP, triclophy or dicamba. This explains why you saw NO control of your GH problem. My suggestion would be to get a pre-mixed bottle of WBG and try that. And you may need a follow-up application after a week. That will be your best bet, but who knows, I'm sure it's not labeled specifically for control of grape hyacinth, but either way always READ the label of the products you buy.

Otherwise, you could try painting glyphosate onto the leaves of the target plants. That always works to control collateral damage. [thumb]

John - Zone 6
by porter57 on April 20, 2006 10:08 AM
tell ya the truth,they dont bother me one bit
they bloom early and then just mow over em
by Land rover on April 20, 2006 10:39 PM
A surfeit of advice. I am honoured.

Many thanks to you all.

Land Rover

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Grand Slam Water Lotos| Next thread: Grape Hyacinth question.... »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: