The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

lawn problems

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by crichard on April 18, 2006 11:24 PM
I was out today to rake my lawn and I have many brown spots. I started raking over the brown spots and all the dead sod just seperated from the ground and rolled up. I can send photos to anyone that is interested and can think they cvan help. Thanx.
Rich
by SpringFever on April 19, 2006 01:02 AM
Could it be grubs? I get spots and use the grubx and it seems to work.
I am sure you will get more responce... I am also sure someone will shake their finger at the chemicals [lala] [Embarrassed] [wavey]
Welcome to the forum Rich I am sure you will love it here as much as all of us do!! [flower] [flower]

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by SpringFever on April 19, 2006 02:43 AM
Oh yeah and photobucket.com you can post your pictures for free

-
 -
Tonight I am having friends for dinner... Hanibal Lector My Album
by johnCT on April 19, 2006 03:41 AM
Was it recently sodded?

John - Zone 6
by joclyn on April 20, 2006 02:04 AM
sounds like grubs to me. grubx would be the proper treatment.

if they are japanese beetle grubs, there's something specific for them - can't remember the name of the product at the moment, tho.

any good garden center would be able to help you out. and the package for the jb grubs has pictures on it of what the grub looks like (it's a pretty darn BIG grub, considering the size of the beetle)

edit: just saw it in another post. milky spore for japanese beetle grubs.
by Fawnice on April 20, 2006 09:54 AM
[wavey] Hello everyone. I'm a newbie here to The Gardner's Forum. I have a lawn question. Last week after a full year, my husband and I decided to put up a fence to block our 3 dogs out of most of the back yard. They really trompeled it down to dead grass and dirt. We have been watering it really well after fertilizing and seeding it. Already I am seeing a difference.

Is there anyway to speed the growing process, and when can I mow the already thick established grass without harming the new sprouts?

Take care and thank you.

Fawnice
by obywan59 on April 20, 2006 11:51 AM
Fertilization will speed things along. I use a granular organic fertilizer made from poultry manure. I also spray every 3 weeks during the summer with a mix recommended by Jerry Baker:

1 cup ammonia
1 can beer
1/2 c. dish soap (lemon scented Ajax)
1/2 c. liquid lawn fertilizer (fish emulsion and
seaweed mix)
1/2 c. corn syrup

If you can, wait till the new grass is 3 inches tall before you mow.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Fawnice on April 21, 2006 08:37 AM
johnCT, no it's definately not a grub problem, it's 3 dogs running/playing problem. But, I think we're making a comeback with it. Thank you.

Fawnice
by johnCT on April 21, 2006 08:00 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Fawnice:
johnCT, no it's definately not a grub problem, it's 3 dogs running/playing problem. But, I think we're making a comeback with it. Thank you.
Why was my post deleted?

John - Zone 6

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: