The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Brown Spring

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by MasonOH on April 10, 2006 04:08 AM
All my neighbors have greened up and are growing. I am still brown, with only patchy growth. Overseeded in the fall. Fertilized 4 weeks ago. We have sod over clay. I use Aerify 4 -5 time per year, we have a sprinkler system, but have the worst lawn in the neighborhood. Any thoughts?
by johnCT on April 10, 2006 10:02 PM
What type of Turf is it? Some varieties, like my Midnight KBG are notorious for being the last to green up in the spring. But this is the only drawback to some of the elite KBG cultivars. Once it does green up it looks better than the rest.

What is "Aerify"? How much water has it received? Most of Ohio is zone 5 right? Its still early.

John - Zone 6
by Longy on April 11, 2006 04:47 AM
Lawn will only grow as well as the soil it's growing on and preparation is the key. Did you do anything to the clay before laying the turves or just roll 'em out?

-
The secret is the soil.
by The Plant Doc on April 12, 2006 05:48 AM
A lot of lawn care products tend to fall into the line of gimmicks, and sometimes can do more harm then good. I am not sure if that is so in this case, as I am not familiar with the product.
I tried looking up a label or msds for Aerify and could not find any.
If you could list the ingredients that could help.

I did check out the home page from the company selling the product.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by MasonOH on April 15, 2006 02:29 AM
It is mostly Ammonium Sulfate and I use it with another of their products called Activator.
by The Plant Doc on April 15, 2006 05:12 AM
All Ammonium Sulfate is, is a nitrogen based fertilizer. That is probably why your grass gets greener when it is used.

If your lawn is still not green yet, it may have a thatch problem. Lawns with a half an inch or more of thatch usually are the last to green up.
If that is the case, you could either do a power raking or dethatching, or a core aeration, and that should help out the problem.

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc

Active Garden Forum