The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

I think I want to keep my mossy lawn in the Pacific Northwest

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by maitreya on April 05, 2006 11:17 AM
I live in the Pacific Northwest and my lawn is being taken over by moss. It is a fairly large piece of my property, in the front of my house. I don't have kids or pets, so it is rarely walked on. I was dreading thinking of going through all the work to get grass back. Then I was reading a book by Ann Lovejoy who is a well known gardener out here. She talks about how grass is not natural out here. Moss is. She suggests ways to promote a lush mossy lawn - which include spraying it with a mixture of diluted buttermilk and a woodland compost tea. The mixture sounds easy enough. Has anyone does this - not necessarily the tea, but left moss to take over a lawn? The rest of my property lawncare and landscaping will keep me busier than I have time for. So I don't want to spend a lot of time trying to keep grass growing. I'm very new to this. I want to keep my property looking good. And I like the moss. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
by obywan59 on April 05, 2006 11:35 AM
I've never tried to encourage moss, but I have a link to a site that actually sells it. It sounds like you probably don't need to buy any, but you may find some useful information here:

Moss Acres

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by flycats on April 06, 2006 11:33 PM
I looove moss! I can't answer any of your questions but just thought I'd put my two cents in! we've had brick patios that get a lot of moss on them and we love it. It usually dies out in the summer and then comes back in the winter.

The cat's asleep, I whisper "kitten", until he stirs a little and begins to purr.
by afgreyparrot on April 07, 2006 12:18 AM
maitreya... [wavey]

I'm sure you will be very interested in this topic about moss...
Wall To Wall Carpeting
Notice the 2 links right before the pictures..
"The Mosses and Lichens of Hummingbird House"
and "Growing Decorative Mosses In Your Garden".

Welcome to the forum!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: