The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

fuzzy mold and brown edges on hydrangea

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: fuzzy lily!| Next thread: Fuzzy Navel Cake »
Back to Thread index
by phoenix on March 28, 2005 06:52 PM
hey all!!
i hope everyone had a great easter!! i have a hydrangea that is about 4 inches tall(maybe more)that has 4 rather large leaves at the top of the plant, that have developed dry brown edges and a few fuzzy mold spots on them as well. i have reduced the watering thinking that that was responsible for the mold,and moved it to where it recieves less light thinking that would halt the browning edges. o.k. now there are new leaves developing further down the stalk of the plant.
should i cut the top of the plant off and get rid of the browning leaves and mold or will it kill the plant if i do. i thought if i did cut the plant stem just above the new leaves the plant might put more energy into the new growth.
(its an indoor plant right now its in a terra cotta pot 6 inches i believe if that info helps) [dunno]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by obywan59 on March 28, 2005 09:21 PM
Since you already have new growth coming out lower down, it should be okay to prune the plant to just above the new growth, but I'm wondering if you could just break the leaves off at the stem and possibly stimulate new growth farther up also?

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by phoenix on March 28, 2005 09:54 PM
thank you obywan,
i think i will do that and see if i get new growth "up top". great idea [Wink] when i purchased the plant (stop&shop florist) it was in full bloom
after the blooms died off i clipped the dead bits off and really did not know if i should start to treat it differently. so i did nothing and new growth started and shortly after thats when the problems started.
than you again,
phoenix [thumb]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: fuzzy lily!| Next thread: Fuzzy Navel Cake »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: