The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Should I re-seed? (...& I don't think some of this was LAWN seed!)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Should I put this here?| Next thread: Should I Repot This Plant? »
Back to Thread index
by Patty S on February 09, 2006 06:29 AM
Last Fall we tilled the yard, picked roots/sticks/rocks out, Top soiled, conditioned, & planted new lawn seed. Well, it turns out that we didn't get on that project as early as we should have, as the following week it began to rain (HARD)! Our faces were in a constant state of grimace for 2 weeks, as we watched the rain "drops" (about equal to 1/2 cup ...EACH) pummel the ground & splash back up again, [scaredy] & we just KNEW that the seeds were washing down to the low side of the yard!

Sure enough! There is wonderful thick grass down on the edges, & a sick looking thin spot... taking up the entire middle of the yard! (That's not really a high spot that you see in the center. The deer tore it up pretty well right there, before we decided to go out in the rain & fence the whole yard in, to keep them off it!)
 -
Grass is invasive, so should we just leave it alone & let it fill in by itself? (How long will that take?) OR, should we throw some more seed out there where there is more ground showing, than grass ?

Actually, it doesn't look as bad in pictures as it does in person... When you're out there looking straight down at it, there's A LOT of brown... not green!  -
It looks pretty nice down at the lower edges of the yard, but are we going to have problems there later because it's so thick? (OVER-seeded, thank you Rain god!)

Now, for the second issue:
We spent quite a bit on this grass seed (Douglas County Mix), as it's developed for this area & recommended by our Extension office... so, what the heck is THIS STUFF? I'm thinking that it's Crab or Quack grass (is there a difference?), but the bag only lists Perennial Ryegrass, Creeping Red Fescue & another local Fescue mixture.
 -
Since I think it's NOT what I want growing as "lawn", & as I think it's one of those "weeds" that have more of a rhizome root structure that will choke off my good grass, I've been out there pulling it out. (Right?)

This looks like the very same thing, but it's a year older. This is in part of the back yard, in an area that was planted last Spring with a "Contractors Mix", which I believe was mostly a fast-growing Fescue with a bit of Perennial Ryegrass in it. It's pretty thick & clumpy looking stuff, & I really don't want that, especially in the front yard. (Actually, I think I should have used the rest of the Contractors Mix that I still have, instead of spending all that money on the "locally approved" seed! Other than these "weed" grass spots, that section of the back yard looks like something I can live with! ...Other than the fact that I think we over-planted it!)
 -

I see that Mike Maier has been lurking in this topic already this pre-Spring, with his good info... Hi Mike! [wavey] Nice to see you again! ("Help me Help me!")

-
 -
by obywan59 on February 10, 2006 12:16 AM
Overseeding is the way to go. It might be a bit early yet, though for zone 6. I'm in zone 6b and I overseeded on March 26 last year. I do it twice a year anyway, spring and fall. I have a little mantis tiller with an aerator attachment that I use to cut the seed in without disturbing the existing grass much.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by johnCT on February 14, 2006 08:48 PM
If your mix was only PR and fescues, you're going to need to put more seed down if you want it thicker. Keep pulling the rogue grass plants as you are. They are definitely not crabgrass. May be tall fescues. You may want to think about overseeding with a newer variety of Kentucky Bluegrass which is a superior species and should do well in your area.

John - Zone 6
by peppereater on February 17, 2006 12:19 AM
I think you paid too much for the mix. Creeping red fescue is crap, and doesn't belong in any mix, as far as I know. It gradually receeds into little clumps, leaving bare spots. I have no experience with bluegrass, it won't grow here, but perrenial rye and some of the improved varieties of tall fescue should work well in your area.

-
Dave
Even my growlights are getting restless!
by obywan59 on February 17, 2006 12:52 AM
Creeping red fescue is a shade grass and does better there than anything else I know of, but I don't see much shade in the picture of your yard, Patty. Personally, I have excellent luck with the Rebel or Pennington fescues. That's all I plant in the sunny areas. Blue grass did horribly for me. It gets too hot here for it.

-
Terry

by peppereater on February 17, 2006 01:01 AM
Terry, around here the finest shade lawns are often Rebel 2 tall fescue. It won't survive well in full sun in Oklahoma. Won't it work in the shade there?

-
Dave
by obywan59 on February 17, 2006 02:11 AM
Some of my shade is pretty dense, so I mixed the creeping red with some Rebel. At the most shady areas, the creeping red predominates.

-
Terry

by peppereater on February 17, 2006 05:57 AM
quote:
Originally posted by obywan59:
Some of my shade is pretty dense, so I mixed the creeping red with some Rebel. At the most shady areas, the creeping red predominates.
That makes sense. Fescue likes some light, for sure. One thing people try to do here is grow zoysia in dense shade. It's touted as a shade grass. Yeah, maybe a few hours a day. It's a shame to see people throw money away on such an expensive grass.

-
Dave
by Patty S on February 18, 2006 04:22 PM
There is NO shade in my front yard in the summer months, until about 3 hours before sunset! Our summers get scorching hot (107*F), Fall is usually cooler but very dry, then the ground turns into a soggy, sloppy sponge for the duration of Winter & Spring, due to heavy rainfall! I don't know of ANY grass that can tolerate both, high heat & nearly standing water conditions! [dunno]

Green cement might be the answer! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

I'm going to see if I can find out what they use in the city parks around here, as the lawns there are beautiful. (Of course our taxes are at work, watering those parks pretty heavily in the summertime.) Hmmm... maybe the answer is to seed in a water-loving grass, then "over water" it all summer, when it's so hot & dry. [nutz]

Keep brainstorming, guys... I appreciate your input! [flower]

-
 -
by peppereater on February 19, 2006 03:29 AM
Patty...think GROUNDCOVER! [Big Grin]
Or your concrete idea might be better! [Big Grin]

I didn't realize it got so hot there...MAN! That's as bad as here. I drove through central Oregon when I was seventeen to see my brother in Eugene! Now that I think about it, it was hot. And some of it was desert...from your pics I'd have thought you had a more coastal climate like Eugene.
I'll rack my brains and see if I recall anything that might work for you there...I don't think the rye will survive there...or anything else! [Eek!]

-
Dave
by Patty S on February 27, 2006 04:12 PM
Gosh! I've been so sidetracked with so many other things, I nearly forgot about by lawn post! Now that out cold snap is over with, it's time to get back on task & focus on my "crooked" lawn again!

Yes Dave, I'm about 80 miles due-south of Eugene. It gets ridiculously hot here in the summer, & our winter & spring weather consists mostly of rain! (Last year so did the autumn months, which was the reason my lawn ended up so uneven!) Roseburg is pretty green, probably because there are a couple rivers running right through town, as you can see from my photo... but we live above where the water hangs out, & have a pretty healthy water bill during the growing season if we want our yard to match those down by the water!

Terry mentioned the Rebel & Pennington fescues, & that sounds about right for these conditions. I know that Bluegrass & Zoysia won't work here. I like the IDEA of Zoysia & would love to have a lawn that resembles a golf course green... who wouldn't! But last Fall when I was asking what kind of seed to use, Mike Maier said that Zoysia is the last grass to green up in the spring, and the first to go dormant in the fall... I get that effect with our dry summers, as it is!  - Looking into Zoysia, I also learned that because of the extremely damp winters here, we stand the chance of having mold & disease problems if we went with something like that.

I'm VERY unhappy with the mix I bought last fall (which came so highly recommended locally), because now that the lawn is up a little higher, it's beginning to look identical to the patch I'd planted a year ago, with that cheap Contractor's mix! I think I'll look & see if I can find some Rebel or Pennington seed, as you & Terry both make it sound like Fescues are probably my best bet.

-
 -
by peppereater on February 27, 2006 11:09 PM
Patty, the Rebel will need lots of water, and I assume the Pennington will, too. And they'll probably go dormant and brown during the hottest weeks. You might ask Terry if this is his experience...I know of these mostly for shade use here.

-
Dave
by johnCT on February 27, 2006 11:58 PM
If summers are as hot as you say they are, then yes fescues are your best bet far a cool season variety. There are many turf-type tall fescues availible these days.

John - Zone 6
by The Plant Doc on March 03, 2006 12:34 AM
Hi Patty, Sorry I have not answered your question until now. I guess looking out my window at all the snow here in WI has kept me away from the lawn care threads.

1st off that weed is called Yellow Nut Sedge.
It gets worse if you yank it out unless you can get all the roots. It is immune to normal over the lawn weed killers as well. There are chemicals out there that will work made specifically for sedges. I am not sure what is sold for home owners in your state, but Basagran, or Manage are two popular brand names, just follow the directions on the label, and do not think that more is better! That will wind up killing the lawn then as well.

As far as that dead spot goes; A couple of possibilities.
It looks like there may be something under the ground right there, possibly a rock or old tree roots. If that is the case either removing the object or putting additional soil on top of it would help. Also more frequent watering. The problem with buried objects is that they tend to hold the heat of the day longer then the rest of your lawn, so that area never has a chance to cool off. This dries the area quicker then the surrounding lawn.
Another possibility is that it could have a thick thatch layer there which would need to be removed for any decent grass to grow.
As far as what seed will do good in those temps?
That sounds pretty hot, so I would think that bluegrass would be out, perennial ryes may do okay but I think the best type for you would be a fine fescue, it is not the best grass for a lawn, but it is extremely drought and heat resistant.
Another possibility would be Zoysia grass, but this is the 1st grass to brown out in the early fall, and the last to turn green in the spring. It is very very drought resistant and would probably do well in that area. This is not planted by seeding though you have to put in plugs and it will thicken up with time. (pretty quickly as long as it is in full sun)

Mike

-
Mike Maier
aka
The Plant Doc
by Patty S on March 03, 2006 05:20 PM
Wonderful to see you again Mike! [wavey] I'm sorry your winter is lasting so darned long, but thanks for checking in & posting here!

"Yellow Nut Sedge", huh? I knew it couldn't be "normal" grass... it just doesn't have that "look", & it comes up with triple & quad strands, instead of singles! I AM pulling it out by the roots, as it seems to have a pretty good hold & will break off, if I don't poke down next to it with a thin screw driver & wiggle the root loose. I'm uprooting them just as I would any "weed", because I've observed that by leaving a piece of root in the ground, weeds seem to over compensate during self-repair, & come back stronger... & more profuse!

As for the "bald spot" in the middle, there just may be something under there that is sitting deeper than the roto tiller dug in, although this yard was so thick with thatch, it acted just like Peat, so we turned, & tilled, & raked, & turned, & picked, until every bit of that old stuff was gone... (we built up the sides of the steep slope leading to the adjacent field, with all that stuff, & boy is it green right there, now! Makes a person stop & ponder!)  - I'll just reseed the sparse spots, & see what happens. If, as you say, there is something under there which is causing the grass to die, maybe we'll wind up putting a big raised flower bed in the middle of the lawn, & call it good! [flower]

When I first heard about Zoysia plugs, I thought I wanted that, but you had told me in November too that, "Zoysia is the last grass to green up in the spring, and the first to go dormant in the fall", & as I mentioned in my last post, we get that with our dry summers as it is, so I wouldn't need to plant anything, to get that effect! Also mentioned earlier; I'd read that because of the extremely damp winters here (and spring... and fall, as it turns out), we stand the chance of having mold & disease problems if we went with something like Zoysia.... (DEFINITELY out!) The consensus seems to lean toward the Fescues, so I think that's the route we'll go. I'll be back with a report on our results, come mid-summer.

Again, thanks for stopping, Mike! Wishing you a lovely spring (when/if it ever arrives), & a productive summer! [thumb]

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Should I put this here?| Next thread: Should I Repot This Plant? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: