The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

anthurium in shock?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Anthurium assistance!| Next thread: Ants »
Back to Thread index
by phoenix on March 24, 2005 10:03 PM
hey there all you garden folk.
i have an anthurium that i had in a plasic vase filled with water only. i recently planted it in some dirt. it was in just water for a few years. now it seems to be flopping over. i knew it would go into shock, but i dont know if i did the right thing by putting it in dirt after being in just water for so long,what do y'all think?? [scaredy]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by weezie13 on March 25, 2005 12:32 AM
Phoenix,
Okay, a got a wee bit of time and a long answer,
so if you have any questions, I'll be back around thru..

When you have a plant in water, the plant developes water roots... roots that are made or created to utilize water and nutrients in the water and how it is delivered to the plant...

Now when a plant is in dirt, it developes dirt roots, that utilize dirt nutrients, water, air in the dirt, etc. and it's created to use those roots as ways to get it's nutrients..

Now, you've had a plant in water for several years that developed water roots, and suddenly,
it's taken out of the environment it's grown to
know and put it somewheres' where it wasn't quite prepared to go yet....

When I grew house plants **Never grew the type your growing** but when I would switch them over,
I would put them in dirt, but have a water reserve in the bottom, like a saucer, not too big, and kept it moist... that way, the plant still had it's water and the roots were able to still use the water, and then in time, kept lessening the water, so it would intern grow dirt roots...

I don't remember a time frame of the inbetween
time...but keep an eye on it..
It may work..

Someone a little more firmiliar with that specific type plant and maybe able to zero in
a little bit more help for you too!!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Amy R. on March 25, 2005 01:17 AM
Excellent post, weezie!
Another thing to consider is the potting medium you are using, as I believe Anthuriums are considered epiphytes, or air plants. Therefore, they require well-aerated soil mixes, which also need to provide sufficient moisture as well as support for the plant. As for that particular potting mixture, I am at a loss, as I believe mine is still growing in the same peaty stuff that it came in. Hopefully, one of the real experts will come along and assist you with that one. Good luck!
by Will Creed on March 25, 2005 04:55 AM
Amy is right-on about Anthuriums being epiphytes and having special potting media needs. Orchids and bromeliads are other examples of epiphytes.

An epiphytic potting mix is extra porous and often includes bark chips, coir (coconut husk), spagnum moss and other light, airy stuff. Although Anthuriums can adapt to peat-based potting mixes, they don't do well in standard potting soils.
by phoenix on March 26, 2005 08:16 PM
oh my goodness i probably sentenced it to death row [tears] thank you for all the info. do you all think its too late to change the potting medium [dunno] it is in store bought miracle grow soil(which i do have great results with normally)i didnt pack it down real good thinking that it wasnt use to its roots being "smooshed". i will try the "little pool" of water for it though.
thak you again [kissies]

-
 -
http://photobucket.com/albums/y203/lilpuppolo/
"If you want to talk bollocks and discuss the meaning of life,you're better off downing a bottle of whiskey.That way you're drunk by the time you start to take yourself seriously"
by blooms4fr on April 01, 2005 03:36 PM
I am so glad to have found this topic. My anthurium needs to be repotted and now I have a better idea of what to repot the plant in.

-
Julia
"dreams & wishes are the start of fantastic ideas, follow them through"

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Anthurium assistance!| Next thread: Ants »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: