The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Fern help please...

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Fern failure| Next thread: fern in question »
Back to Thread index
by Tonya on December 21, 2006 08:05 AM
My sweet hubby bought me a Boston Fern a few months back that did quite well until it was time to bring it inside. Once inside- there were brown fronds galore and the "leaves" were drying out and falling off like crazy. I started cutting all the dead off and wound up cutting everything. Now what do I do?? All it has left is a few stalks about an inch or so tall and the roots.....is there hope? Please Help! I will get pics if needed.....

Tonya <----fern killer [Embarrassed]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by badplanter on December 21, 2006 08:13 AM
I have a fern outside, by my fishpond, that dies every year around winter-time...looks like it won't ever come back...but every spring it does [thumb] maybe it is just because ferns die around this time anyway? [dunno] [Big Grin]

--Mark--

-
 -
 -  - "I don't want no more of army life, gee mom, I wanna go, but they won't let me go, gee mom, I wanna go home!" My PB!
by Jiffymouse on December 21, 2006 09:42 AM
and if you bring one inside, put it in the bathroom or kitchen, they are the most humid spots in your house. and, like mark said, it will come back. mine does.
by sibyl on December 21, 2006 12:34 PM
i took a fern out of the woods and planted it in one of my hollow logs, it died of completly! but came back!. its outside and dies off every winter too.

-
 -
by Tonya on December 21, 2006 09:04 PM
Thanks guys! I didn't know they would die back...can you leave them outside or do they need to be inside in a humid room? I really am afraid of killing it because it was about 4 feet in diameter when he bought it. Well, and the fact that I have killed every other plant he has ever given me... [Embarrassed] [lala]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by joclyn on December 22, 2006 01:26 AM
up here, they (boston fern) need to be brought in for the winter...
by Jiffymouse on December 22, 2006 09:51 AM
bostons should be brought in here too, but they will still "die" back some, then fill back out. it is the change in light, humidity, and temp.
by Tonya on December 22, 2006 10:42 PM
Thanks, all! [kissies] I did notice some new "fronds" coming out, but all the big ones were dried out. I am just glad I didn't kill another gift from him....He said if I did- he wasn't getting me another one [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

-
 -
 - Bote and Babe's World
by Jiffymouse on December 23, 2006 11:00 AM
tonya, cut the fronds off, the ones that are dead, or are "stringy" from losing leaves. it will make it look better, be neater to take care of, and will let the new ones get bettter light.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Fern failure| Next thread: fern in question »
Back to Thread index