The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Jade plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Jade Plant| Next thread: Jade Plant »
Back to Thread index
by SandyW on June 21, 2004 06:48 PM
I have a jade plant that is 6-7 years old and fairly large. Over the past year, it has not been doing so well and I think it may have been sunburned, as I read in a previous post on this type of plant. For several months, it was in a window that received much light and many of the leaves have become wrinkled and sort of yellowish orange. I have since then moved it to a window with less light and the new leaves look healthier. I am tempted to remove the leaves that have been damaged, but am concerned that the plant will remain partially bare? Do you think the old leaves would be replaced by new ones?

Sandy
by plantlady19 on June 21, 2004 09:36 PM
Jade is a very resiliant plant. Prune the most damaged places and give your plant some TLC. With a little fertilizer, regular watering and proper care. Your plant should be ok in no time. However, if the problem persists even after the plant had been moved into indirect light, I'd post another message.
by Nako on June 22, 2004 02:50 AM
HowD!
Actually, you can probably save your leaves. Is your jade potbound? If it is potbound, and the leaves are yellowish rinkily and vainyish.... then when you repot it, and water it a lot (not soak, but enough to make stuff come out the bottom), The leaves will bounce back over time. If the leaves fall off, then chances are that new growth will show up where those leaves fell off. So you may get more branches [Smile] I suggest taking off the damaged leaves so you can get a thicker jade ^.^

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by ladybogue on June 22, 2004 03:54 AM
Hello,

I have another question about jade tree. I just bought one, but I repot it in a mixture I found out to be unappropriate for it. Well it was the only soil I got, and it is more for hanging baskets so it retains water. Should I repot it in a more draining soil, or is it worst for the health of the plant to be repot twice in less than a month?

I maybe just overprotecting it however.
by Nako on June 22, 2004 06:16 AM
Jades are VERY easy to take care of, so you don't have to worry about repotting it. It will actually last in soil that retains water. Whatcha do is ya wait till the soil is completely dry on top before you water it. But if you wana repot it, feel free. Just make sure the roots won't break and it'll be fine ^.^ Someone on the forum said they could root in lava lol.

But ya, i repotted my jade 3 times in one week one time because i just kept on finding a prettier pot, and then a useful pot, and then a pretty and useful pot [Big Grin] it kept on sprouting new growth the entire time without any sign of stopping. But as soon as i let it stay, it slowed down lol. Its sped back up though ^.^

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by applescruff on July 15, 2004 04:35 AM
I have both a jade and an aloe vera in water retaining potting soil. Both do just fine so long as I don't overwater them. I water mine about once a month or so during the summer and they have grown a lot so yours should do fine.

applescruff

And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Jade Plant| Next thread: Jade Plant »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: