The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Crock Pot Recipes?

Willy's Place » Members Favorite Recipes
Pages: 1 2
by catlover on May 30, 2004 12:55 AM
I'm guessing it is about 16 y.old at least....no way new...it has a fryer thing that the crock sits in....so you can deep fat fry or use as a crock. Haven't used the darn thing in a L O N G time....and the directions...well what box could that be in???? [Roll Eyes] Guess I should of set it pretty high to bubble then turned it back down...I may be eating at 2am or tomorrow for breakfast. [Big Grin]
[kitty]

-
 -
 -
by pagarden on June 25, 2004 04:05 AM
yay! thank you guys! i love my crock pot too! saves time and keeps my kitchen cooler in the summer! [perplexed] this is one of our favorites--

~a big cut of beef boneless- i've found that it really doesn't matter the type of cut cause it comes out tender anyhow

~put in crock pot and then on top add 1 large onion (or more if you like) cut up

~dump 1 large can of campbels mushroom soup (or 2 small ones)

~that's it. the fat from the meat makes gravy with the soup and the beef comes out so tender it shreds. we serve over rice or noodles- whatever is in the house at the time

and i actually like cooking my spaghetti in the crock pot too. it simmers longer and comes out better. i use

1 large can of whole tomatoes cut up so they are still chunky
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
1 regular can of whole tomatoes cut up same way
1 small can of tomato paste
some oregano
little sugar
lots of fresh garlic
and about a cup of red wine

i let it simmer most of the day and about an hour or two before dinner i add a large cut up green pepper, 1 large onion, and some fresh mushrooms- i like 'em kinda crispy not too mushy. but that's just my taste

i like chili in the crock too but there was already a recipe for that right? i just kinda skimmed them. i'll go back and see if my husband will like any. he's pickier than the kids! [Roll Eyes] my mom used to make this soup she called "yaka-mein", i don't know if it was made up or what. [dunno]

add to crock 2 cans of cambells beef consomme, then 2 cans of water. beef bullion cubes- for each cube add 1 soup can of water. add enough to make as much soup as you want. then add bite size chunks of beef. low for a few hours. we always ate it with spaghetti noodles in our bowls.

anyhow that's all i can think of off the top of my head. i'll think of more later i'm sure.... LOL
by SnazzieT on June 25, 2004 04:36 PM
oh boy, oh boy.....
what a great thread!!

here is one my absolute favs!!!! -

BBQ Beef

3lbs beef - cubed
2c. onions - chopped
1/2c. brown sugar
3tsp. chili powder
2tsp. salt
1tsp. dry mustard
1/4c. vinegar
2tsp. whorstishire
6oz. tomato paste

put all in pot, stir well. Cook high 4-5 hours or low 7-8 hours ( i usually cook high 2 hours and low 4 hours)

right before serving, take two forks and finish shredding the beef (if you like it that way)

THis is soooooo yummy, I hope you guys like it!!

btw- this is my first post [Wink]

-Tracie
by SnazzieT on June 25, 2004 04:44 PM
here is another recipie that is surely to be a hit!!

Italian Creamy Chicken

4boneless/skinless breast halves
1env.dry italian mix
1/4c water
8oz. cream chicken soup
4oz. mushrooms

put chicken in pot. combine mix and water until smooth and pour over chicken. cook on low 3 hours.

Combine c0c soup and cream cheese. stir in mushrooms. pour mixture over chicken. Cook one hour more or until chicken is cook through.

Great with rice!!!! [lala]

-Tracie
by afgreyparrot on June 27, 2004 06:52 AM
Cream cheese???
How much?
I try every recipe posted here!
I'm a crock pot FREAK!!!

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by SnazzieT on June 28, 2004 03:28 PM
quote:
Originally posted by afgreyparrot:
Cream cheese???
How much?
I try every recipe posted here!
I'm a crock pot FREAK!!!

whoops...

thats an 8oz block of cream cheese , softened
and 1 can of cream of chicken soup.....

thanks for pointing that out!! [Wink]

-Tracie
by LF from MC on June 29, 2004 03:47 AM
Boy!!! are there ever some great recipes for the Crock Pot, Soon I'll be retiring to part time, and I'm going to try some of these out, they all look so delicious, I haven't been around much, have been very busy, but I do stop in ever so often.

I was wondering if I could use some of these recipes on another forum, and put your name, and where it came from next to the recipes. I have a website, that's still under construction, and want to add a cook book there, and add some of your recipes there also. I already have a link to the 'Gardener's Forun' on there.
by weezie13 on June 29, 2004 07:21 AM
Hi LF from MC,
Been wondering where you've been!
Glad to hear you peak in on us!!!

I would also say, maybe IM all those you are interested in their recipe's....

Glad to hear you have a link to us!
That's awesome!!

Weezie

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by LF from MC on July 01, 2004 04:03 AM
Hi Weezie13,

I took me a while, before I realize you were saying to send a privet message (IM) [Embarrassed] I'm use to calling them (PM's)

Yes, I'll do that, It'll be a couple days, have a lot to do. My daughter is coming up from OH, for the hollidays.

Thanks for the information. [flower]
by eyesoftexas on July 11, 2004 01:06 AM
http://southernfood.about.com/

Better git yerself a big ole trailer for yer next trip into town to the store!! [Big Grin] [gabby]

Love is the fairest flower in God's Garden!

"eyes"
 -
by BigBoy on August 10, 2004 09:22 PM
Thanks for all of the delicious sounding recipes for the crock pot. The "crock" and I are old friends as I did 90% of the cooking when my sons were growing up and my ex-wife was off going to school or working or whatever. Someone asked about the temperatures of the crock pot: they differ from brand to brand and type to type. I have three crocks and they all cook at different temps. "Low" on a newer one is like "High" on my old Rival. Personally, I prefer the ones which cook slower. If I want something cooked faster (such as meat), I just brown it first.
Now that summer is here, the crock is great for using up lots of garden veggies that otherwise might go to waste. If the counter is getting full of onions, peppers, summer squash, zuchini, tomatoes, sweetcorn, potatoes, etc., just chop/slice and throw into the crock with some of your favorite seasonings and a little water (or wine, red wine vinegar, soy sauce, chicken broth, beer?) and forget it for 6-8 hours. You may need to boil the taters for a while to soften them or slice very thin so they get done. Same with the carrots. Or shred them. I can't grow them in my garden but I like to add mushrooms. Be brave and experiment. You will not be disappointed. [Smile]
by afgreyparrot on August 11, 2004 05:16 AM
quote:
"Low" on a newer one is like "High" on my old Rival.
Ahhh.....the old Rival!
Mine is over 25 years old! I got it to replace the one I dropped and broke when my daughter was 3 years old. She's 29 now!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
by loz on August 11, 2004 07:32 AM
I sadly put my old crock pot to rest and bought a new one a few days ago.....the old one had a non stick interior and it was all peeling off [Frown] ....so the new one is a stoneware insert that you can remove, and it's really nice--6 qt, stainless steel and black......I used it tonight for my sisters BD party for meatballs.....buy a bag of meatballs, or make some and then mix equal parts of grape jelly and ketchup together.....OMG, I HATE grape jelly and thought it would be disgusting, but this is the second year I've made them now and everyone loves them including me [grin] ....very easy and cheap to make, and perfect for a party......The jelly and ketchup will be really clumpy at first but then the heat gets rid of the lumps......really, try it and see if I'm lying about how good it is! [thumb]
by Kareena on November 08, 2004 07:02 PM
Please bare with me. I'm new. I am G-moms oldest daughter. She got me a crockpot for my b-day yesterday. she sent the all of the recipies today. I cannot wait to try the salsa soup. Im sure my boyfriend will appreciate the recipies. He says that i never cook! Well now we both can! [Big Grin] HA! I have a ton of recipies that i plan posting soon.....but its lunch time i gotta go!

Kareena [thumb]

To err is human, to blame it on someone else shows management potential.
by gardenmom32210 on November 08, 2004 07:06 PM
quote:
Please bare with me
KAREENA!...I raised you better than that!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

G-Mom [grin]
by weezie13 on November 08, 2004 07:14 PM
[Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed] [Wink]

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by afgreyparrot on November 08, 2004 08:20 PM
quote:
KAREENA!...I raised you better than that!

Yeah! What an example YOU must have set when she was in her "impressionable" years!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [lala]

-
 -
 -
by gardenmom32210 on November 08, 2004 08:32 PM
[nutz] WHO...ME? [nutz]

G-Mom [Big Grin]
by afgreyparrot on November 08, 2004 08:43 PM
[lala]

-
 -
 -
by gardenmom32210 on November 08, 2004 08:49 PM
[Big Grin]

Hey Kareena...this is where you jump in and defend me!

G-Mom [grin]
by afgreyparrot on November 08, 2004 08:54 PM
OH! A TAG TEAM MATCH! ! ! ! !

[Frown]

-
 -
 -
by gardenmom32210 on November 08, 2004 09:01 PM
Kung Fu Kareena  -

&

Kamikazee Karen  -

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

G-Mom [grin]
by afgreyparrot on November 08, 2004 09:12 PM
VS

Saint Cindy [angel]

-
 -
 -
by gardenmom32210 on November 08, 2004 09:16 PM
quote:
Saint Cindy
[Big Grin] [Big Grin]  - [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Now THATS the funniest thing I've heard ALL DAY!!

G-Mom [Big Grin]
by afgreyparrot on November 08, 2004 09:18 PM
[Razz]

-
 -
 -
by gardenmom32210 on November 08, 2004 09:32 PM
quote:
[Razz]
And THATS the 2nd funniest!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin]

G-Mom [grin]
by Kareena on November 09, 2004 12:28 AM
Sorry mom, but I was at work and they pay me so I have to look busy now and then. Here is a recipie yall might like:

Garlic Chicken Alfredo

1 jar (16 ounces) Creamy Garlic Alfredo Sauce, or Alfredo Sauce
4 to 6 boneless chicken breast halves
1 can (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
8 ounces spaghetti, hot cooked
grated Parmesan cheese

Pour about 1/3 of the sauce into the slow cooker. Place chicken in the slow cooker; top with mushrooms and remaining sauce. cover and cook on LOW setting for 6 to 8 hours. Serve with hot cooked spaghetti, Parmesan cheese and a tossed salad

I have more. Give me time and I will post them. [flower]

by sachis2112 on November 11, 2004 08:42 AM
OMG, we had this last night and it was soooooo good!

Stroganoff
2lbs cubed pork (I used a couple huge chicken breasts cubed)
1 sm onion
2T flour
1/2 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1 1/2 t paprika
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup sour cream

Place meat and onion in crockpot. Stir in flour. Add remaining minus sourcream. Stir well. Cover and cook. (We cooked on low for about 10 hours because that's about the amount of time from leaving for work and getting home for me.) Add sour cream 30 minutes before serving. Serve over noodles.

We put it on minute rice. YUMMY!!! [grin] [grin]

-
by melcon6 on November 11, 2004 03:04 PM
Thanks sachi, I'm gonna try that one today. I just happened to take out a huge package of boneless pork from the freezer yesterday just to use it up , it's way too much for me and 2 kids , but this sounds great. [Smile] and I have all the ingredients! [thumb]

-
 -

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CINDY!!!!!!!
by Kareena on November 11, 2004 07:56 PM
Country Pork with Mushrooms

2 pounds country-style ribs, boneless
1 can cream of mushrooms soup
4 ounces sliced mushrooms
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 envelope mushroom gravy mix
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
2 tablespoons cold water blended with 1 heaping tablespoon all-purpose flour

Combine boneless ribs, soup, mushrooms, salt, pepper, gravy, and paprika in crockpot. Cover and cook on LOW setting for 7 to 9 hours. Stir flour mixture into broth and cook on HIGH heat setting an additional 15 minutes, or until thickened. Serve country-style ribs with mashed potatoes and corn.
Country-style ribs recipe serves 6.

by Merme on November 18, 2004 03:12 AM
Hi all ~

The first Crock Pot recipe I ever received was from Nana's11, a marvelous cook. Here it is:

LOW FAT ORANGE CLAZED CHICKEN BREASTS

6 ounces thawed orange juice, foozen concentrate
3 chicken breats, split
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1 dash ground nutmeg
1 dash garlic powder (optional)
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons cornstarch

Combine thawed orange juice concentrate (not already made OJ) in bowl along with marjoram, garlic powder and nutmeg. Split the chicken breasts to make 6 serving sizes. Dip each piece into the orange juice mixture to coat completely. Place in crock pot. Pour the remaining orange juice mixture over the chicken.

Cover and cook on low for 7 - 9 hours or cook on high for 4 hours if you wish.

When chicken is done, remove to serving platter. Pour the sauce that remains in crock pot into a saucepan. Mix the cornstarch and water and stir into the juice in pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly.

Serve the sauce over the chicken.

Serving ideas: Serve with brown or white rice. [thumb]

Merme

-
 -

"In the midst of winter, I learned there lives in me an invincible summer" Camus (maybe a paraphrase)
by 4Ruddy on November 19, 2004 01:29 AM
Sorry, this doesn't have a name but is a wonderful soup that we serves at the bakery for lunch and it was a big hit every fall/winter.

2 lbs ground beef
1 chopped onion
1 can kidney beans (rinsed)
1 can pimto beans
1 cup frozen corn
1 pkg dry ranch dressing mix
1 pkg taco seasoning mix
1 1/2 cups water
1 cup ketchup
3 cups stewed tomatoes
salt & pepper to taste

Brown meat-drain. sprinkle with the ranch drsg mix & taco seasoning mix. Throw all ingredients in the crock pot and cook on low for 5-6 hours.
My clan likes jalepeno' peppers thrown in.

-
 -

Happiness, like a dessert so sweet.
May life give you more than you can ever eat...

Active Garden Forum