The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

mites, I think (webs and bugs)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Misting and city water| Next thread: Mixed Flowers »
Back to Thread index
by LoverOfFicus on June 15, 2004 06:31 PM
My prayer plant had small webs covering the entire plant so I had to throw it out, but there are these small brown bugs on my plants. They seem to like bright yellow objects because they gathered on a something I have on my mantel piece that is yellow. I have a beautiful ficus that I brought back from the dead and a small but sturdy dracaena and a pair of large yuccas, as well as other plants, but I am most worried about my treasured ficus. Does anyone know what these things are and how to get rid of them?
by Nako on June 15, 2004 07:12 PM
I've been told here that they hate water. The best thing to do *though i haven't tried it yet* is to do a soapy wash. I beleive that's covered in another thread. What i did to get rid of them is whenever i saw any, i'd get my wedge sponge (specially designed for getting into those tight areas around the house) and i'd smush em all and wipe em away with it. I'd make sure it was wet though. I'm really not too sure if they actually do any harm to the plants either... The ones on my plants just made these ugly lil fine webs >.<

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by plantlady19 on June 15, 2004 09:16 PM
Nako is right. You need to clean the plant. However, you might also want to try a mild houseplant pesticide. I use "Fungicide 3". It's multipurpose, so if you have any other plants with pest or fungus problems you won't need to buy another product. Hope that helps. [wayey]
by Will Creed on June 17, 2004 01:02 AM
Lover,

Spider mites are not small and brown. They are tiny and whitish colored. With the naked eye they look like dust particles, not bugs. They are not attracted to yellow.

If the bugs fly, then they are fungus gnats. Can you provide a better description so we can give you the right treatment instructions?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Misting and city water| Next thread: Mixed Flowers »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: