The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Parlor Palm

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Paris Puffins?| Next thread: Parlor Palm help »
Back to Thread index
by Appsparkey on March 07, 2005 03:00 AM
Hello
I am hoping someone can help me. I am new to your website, but was told this was a good place to find out what is wrong. This summer my parlor palm started to get brown leaves on it. I figured it was time for a new home, so I repotted it. It was in this pot for 4 years. After I repotted it, the plant started getting worse. I have put it into a location directly in front of a humidifier. Can anyone help? This plant is over 12 years old and is from a very dear persons funeral. I am no where near a garden master, but no where near a novice.

Thank You
by Will Creed on March 07, 2005 03:53 AM
"I repotted it and then it got worse." I hear that every day. Repotting is the single most common cause of plant problems. The vast majority of potted plants do best when they are kept moderately potbound. You may want to move your plam back to its original pot

That said, your parlor palm was struggling a bit before the repotting. These palms are very good low light plants once they are well-established and if they are kept moist. Even a single episode of soil that gets too dry will cause a fluorish of brown tips and fronds. High humidity is fine, but is not a substitute for proper watering. The good news is that they will recover if the watering lapses are relatively infrequent.
by Sheri&Kiki on March 08, 2005 06:43 AM
The only thing I can add is parlor palms also enjoy being misted, and I give them a diluted liquid fertilizer once in a while. [wayey]

-
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.
by Appsparkey on March 09, 2005 03:33 AM
Thank you for the replies. I appreciate the good advice.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Paris Puffins?| Next thread: Parlor Palm help »
Back to Thread index