The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Hanging house plant that likes sun?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: hanging begonia| Next thread: hanging jade? »
Back to Thread index
by chermoni on November 22, 2006 12:50 PM
I'm trying to get some ideas for a plant that I can put in a hanging pot in a corner of my living room. The corner where it will go faces southwest and gets a lot of sun. It's a corner between 2 joining windows. I'm having trouble trying to think of something that will look good in room that has 2 pothos and 2 philo's, but tolerates a lot of light.

-
 -

Cheryl's Photobucket
My journal

Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.
by margaret e. pell on November 22, 2006 01:13 PM
Rhipsalis would like it and they have very different growth habits from the vines you currently have. Here's a place to look at them:
http://rhipsalis.com/index.html
This is the one I've seen in nurseries, as a very small plant. Mine grew quite quickly, though it hasn't flowered as prolifically as in the picture.
http://rhipsalis.com/species/cereuscula.htm

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by hisgal2 on November 22, 2006 02:04 PM
I used to have an ice plant that did extremely well in the sun. Here is a link to some info on it...
Ice Plant

It is a succulant, so it has a really different look. The flowers have an almost metalic look to them. My flowers were purple colored like the one in the picture on the link...I don't know if they come in any other color.

-
 -

-
by Patty S on November 23, 2006 02:53 AM
Ice Plant also stays in flower for a long time. (I hope the color won't clash with your living room!)

Jenn, what do you mean, you "used to have an ice plant"? [shocked] What happened to it? I remember last year when you posted a pic of it, & I fell in love with it... & found one for myself!
 -

They're soooo easy to take care of, & although mine is outdoors, I know of no reason why they couldn't be an indoor plant. I can't think of another flowering plant that likes full sun, other than Begonia.
(I THINK they'll do full sun!) [dunno]

-
 -
by hisgal2 on November 23, 2006 08:21 AM
The ice plant had a run in with a furry feline friend and didn't recoop. I want another one horribly, but I'm afraid to get one before we move.

-
 -

-
by Jiffymouse on November 27, 2006 01:19 AM
i was thinking tradescantia (wandering jew) both zebrina and the plain green one. i have them mixed together in a hanging pot and they seem to love the sunny area!
by tkhooper on November 27, 2006 03:33 AM
I have the purple passion plant and it is great in a sunny location. Although it will droop if it doesn't get enough water. And you have to make sure and pinch off the buds before it flowers. It's a fly polinator peeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuu lol.

-
 -
by chermoni on December 04, 2006 02:13 AM
I just bought a jade plant the other day. I couldn't resist it, I've always wanted one. I know they are supposed to be good in bright light but I've never seen one in a hanging pot. I think I may give it a try and see how it goes.

-
 -

Cheryl's Photobucket
My journal

Yesterday is history, tomorrow's a mystery. Today is a gift, that's why it's called the present.
by flowerpower313 on December 05, 2006 12:34 PM
I have 3 different varieties of Jade. They are very easy to take care of. My favorite is sometimes called "Pig's Ear".
by TomR on December 06, 2006 08:50 AM
Lets not forget the holiday cactuses! Christmas, thanksgiving,easter!

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by loz on December 06, 2006 10:23 PM
quote:
Originally posted by Jiffymouse:
i was thinking tradescantia (wandering jew) both zebrina and the plain green one. i have them mixed together in a hanging pot and they seem to love the sunny area!
Totally agree! I love my wandering jews...They are great hanging basket plants. [thumb] And you can cut and root tons of them off one plant. [muggs]
by gomerp618 on December 08, 2006 12:41 PM
I would say yes to the wandering jew too! I have my hoyas in full sun and they do well. I also have one of those arrow head plants in full sun and it's doing great (I have that one in a pot mixed with pothos and purple passion vine). I have an aloe in a hanging pot too in a sunny window, also a goldfish plant. How about an asparagus fern? Mine is in full light, but isn't doing so well for me right now because it's in a room I don't frequent that much and I keep letting it dry out, but when I remember it on a regular basis it does great in a sunny window.

Lord, please let me be the person my dog thinks I am!

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: hanging begonia| Next thread: hanging jade? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: