The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Green moss

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Green Lemons| Next thread: Green moss? »
Back to Thread index
by rozy221 on February 25, 2005 04:04 AM
Hi all! I picked up a bag of green moss, more for appearance reasons than anything else-it's so much nicer to look at rather than soil. My question is, are there any plants that I should NOT use it on: I'm thinking xmas cactus, spider plants, crotons, ivies, amaryllis..... Also, I finally got my camara working (now we're in trouble!) To post pics, I have to go through another site, right? I can't just upload them from my computer? Thanks for the help!
by Will Creed on February 28, 2005 04:42 AM
Hi Rozy,

Green moss does add a nice decorative touch to your plants. Keep in mind that it will gradually turn brown and won't look so great after a while.

Your can use the moss on any plant. However, it works like a mulch and keeps the soil from drying out as quickly, so you will have to alter your watering routines accordingly. Keep the moss dry when used with any cacti or with AV's.
by rozy221 on February 28, 2005 06:44 PM
thanks will! one more question: is it ok to water through the moss or should i try to lift it and water under it? Does it even matter or am I being neurotic, lol? I just hate to do anything that might harm my babies. Thanks again!
by Will Creed on March 02, 2005 04:31 AM
You do want to avoid saturating the moss so that it stays wet for days at a time. That could lead to stem rot. To be on the safe side, it may be best to water underneath the moss. However, usually when you water on top of the moss, the water passes through and does not soak the moss, so it is not a problem.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Green Lemons| Next thread: Green moss? »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: