The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Is Norfolk Pine a goner?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
by DaisyM on February 01, 2005 05:47 AM
I bought a small one, right around Christmas. When I bought it, it was lush and a nice rich green. In the last couple of weeks, the branches have started to droop (not normal drooping) and it seems like the new shoots have become leggy and spindly. The green is now fading. When I touch it, it still feels pliable, but looks like it's on it's way out. I had it several feet away from the window. I also have it in a very warm room, so I don't know if that is the problem. Probably needs a transplant also. Can these pines still come back once they started to droop. (P.S. misted yesterday, but it remains the same.) Thanks for the advice.
by Amy R. on February 01, 2005 05:45 PM
Hi DaisyM,
I have always wanted a Norfolk Island Pine, but from what I've seen and read, they are kinda particular, and that's scary, LOL! [Wink]
To increase the humidity around the plant, you could try moving it into the kitchen or bathroom(if the light is right), or set it on top of a tray filled with pebbles and water. Just make sure the pot doesn't sit IN the water, or it can get root rot.
Here is a link that might help you out. Good luck!

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/norfolk.html
by DaisyM on February 02, 2005 07:30 AM
Thanks Amy. This isn't my first Norfolk Pine and it probably won't be my last. The first couple I was overwatering because I didn't know any better. This time I thought I was smarter and kept it too dry. Also the room was too warm and I wasn't misting. My house has inadequate lighting as well. Today, I transplanted it, since it was in such a little pot. Since it looks like it may not survive, I really don't have much to lose. Oh well! maybe I'll have better luck the next time, or maybe a miracle will happen with this one.
by Cricket on February 02, 2005 07:33 AM
I lost a Norfolk pine years ago because I couldn't keep the humidity high enough. Hmmm... that was on the praries. Maybe I should try again now that I'm off the west coast where the humidity is higher.
by DaisyM on February 02, 2005 07:52 AM
My sister lives in the same area as me, which is also considered the prairies., and has no problem growing her Norfolk. She has it in a room with adequate lighting, several feet away from a large window. She obviously knows how much water to give hers without overwatering, something I have a problem with. I think it's a combination of lighting, water, humidity and a green thumb with gives some people success with this tree.
by Jiffymouse on February 03, 2005 07:34 PM
ok, just a quick note, but for the humidity, put a tray of water with rocks for the pot to sit on, up out of the water, under the plant. when you water, water till the water runs out of the pot into the tray underneath. make sure you "tip" the pot to let the attached tray, if there is one, empty also. then, don't water again until you poke your finger in the pot and it is dry, but not dusty. about 6-12 days for the average plant. hope this helps, sorry it's short!
by DaisyM on February 04, 2005 01:11 AM
Thanks for the watering tip. I was doing it weekly, but because the pot was so small, and the room so dry, it looks like it wasn't enough. An update on my Norfolk, I transplanted it, watered it properly, mist it daily, carry it to a window where there is more light coming in, and it seems a tad better, although not out of the woods yet. The one thing which is concerning me is, the new shoots are still spindly and curled, but the tree itself has become a little greener. Time will tell, thanks for the info.
by Ann1 on February 04, 2005 11:55 PM
There may be an alternative to the Norfolk Island Pine--an almost extinct pine found in Australia. Thought to have been extinct for 200 million years some plants were found in 1994--

Read all about it here. It's beautiful.
Wollemi Pine

A Wollemi pine conservation group is on the web and you can register your interest, especially if you are interested in obtaining one. Wollemi Pine.com

The cost will probably be out of sight, but it certainly is beautiful!

Ann
by DaisyM on February 05, 2005 12:52 AM
The Wollemi Pine is nice indeed, with much easier growing conditions than the Norfolk Pine. It may be expensive until they get them growing again.
by DaisyM on February 12, 2005 05:43 AM
Well folks, it's a goner. It's still green, but the needles are as stiff as a board. I did it again, inspite of my pampering. I killed my Norfolk. Boo hoo.
by Amy R. on February 12, 2005 08:51 AM
aw, Daisy, i'm sorry. if it is any consolation to you, i have quite a large plant graveyard myself. hmm, with new additions daily it seems. i have noticed a lot of Norfolks on sale lately, so maybe you could get yourself a new one and build from your experience of the last. or, you could just throw your hands up and pour yourself a drink! [muggs]

good luck for next time!
by DaisyM on February 12, 2005 09:21 PM
Amy, thanks for the condolences. My Norfolk is still standing on the counter. Last nite, my husband told me to get rid of it, but being the stubborn person that I am, I'm still trying to revive it. Amy, I think the Norfolk needs the good stiff drink, more than me, Lol. I think I'll wait it out before and if I do get another. Thanks again.
by Vladzik on February 25, 2005 06:11 AM
Hi Everyone,
I have a question about my Norfolk Island Pine. I bought it a month ago, and it came in a little pot with about 7 or 8 little trees. When I moved it to a bigger pot I saw that the roots from these 8 trees were connected to each other, intertwined. I did not separate them because I though I might damage the roots. Is it okay for Norfolk Island Pine to grow closely together, or does it need space to spread out and properly grow.

Thanks For the Help javascript:void(0)
thinker
by DaisyM on February 25, 2005 06:50 AM
I've seen them this way also. I think if you are careful, it probably will be okay to separate them, although most of the Norfolk Pines I've seen, have 2-5 per pot, so I'm not sure how it would look to divide them and plant them separately. LoL I never had any luck growing them, so maybe there is someone who has had luck with them and is more experienced with the info. Hope you have better luck with yours.
by Will Creed on February 28, 2005 04:31 AM
Vladzik,

Keep your Norfolk pines together. They will not interfere with one another. In fact, they will make for a fuller-looking plant. Trying to separate the roots is a major surgical procedure that is possible, but risky unless you are expereienced with it.

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: