The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

More Babies

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
by syl726 on June 05, 2004 03:22 PM
Okay gang, I did it...yesterday I went to Kroger and purchased 4 plants! [thumb] Two are ferns which I have hanging proudly on the front porch,a Snake Plant and a Dieffenbachia (Camile I believe; green leaves with greenish-white down the middle) and I want to do it right this time. Although the Dieffenbachia seems to need repotting, I'm determined to wait at least two months to do it so it gets used to it's new enviroment. I've been told anyone can maintain a Snake Plant. What's the difference between the Snake Plant and Mother's-In-Law Tongue [dunno] Any advice on what else can I do to keep my babies VERY happy [flower]
by gardenmom32210 on June 05, 2004 03:43 PM
Around here "Snake plant" and "Mother-in-law tongue" are the same plants. They are also known as Sansevera.
Hope this helps.

Karen [grin]
by syl726 on June 05, 2004 04:20 PM
Thanks gardenmom32210. You're right on the money [muggs]
by Will Creed on June 06, 2004 05:07 AM
Keep them potbound for best results. That will help prevent overwatering. Protect the Camille from any direct sun. Snake plants are not as hardy as their reputation. If you provide lots of bright light, never repot until the pots are nearly split open by the plant, and keep the soil very dry, then you will have lots of success with your snake plants.

Enjoy your new acquisitions!
by syl726 on June 06, 2004 07:43 AM
Thanx Will. Does the same go with the Ferns about letting them get potbound until they almost burst the pot open? I've seen plants like that before but I thought it came from rough handling in the store. Also, the salesclerk told me she'd been watering the furns every other day. When I first set eyes on them a few months ago Feb/Mar, they were on the inside of the store, now they're outside. I also asked her about her watering habits and she said she uses water straight from the spicket...no 24-hour period standing water for ANY of the plants and we are in the same city using the same "public" water system. She said to mist the ferns too. I figured a light spraying from the garden hose is the same. HELP [scaredy]
by Will Creed on June 06, 2004 07:21 PM
Most plants do best when tightly potted, but most will not tolerate bursting the pot the way a snake plant will.

I assume your ferns are Boston ferns. Keep them moderately potbound, but not so potbound that you can't keep the soil moist. Unlike snake plants, ferns do not tolerate dry soil at all.

Ferns also need protection from direct sunlight. Hanging outside on a porch is a good location.

If your city water is on the hard side you might want to switch to filtered, distilled, or rainwater. Letting water stand overnight won't help with hard water. It will help dissipate chlorine, but the amount of chlorine in most city drinking water is not concentrated enough to do any harm.
by syl726 on June 07, 2004 02:00 PM

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: