The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Any Ideas For Easy To Care For House Plants?

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: Any ideas?| Next thread: Any ideas on »
Back to Thread index
by Super_Noob on November 14, 2006 11:36 AM
I plan on keeping a plant or two on my window sill. Nothing big or gigantic, only something to make my small room seem a little more natural.

The window space is incredibly small. It's about 2 or 3ft wide and the height is about 1 or 2 ft. It's not exactly a window sill, since there's enough space there for me to put a plant there or even a ps2 (more like 4 actually, if I had that many). This area doesn't get too much light, but it's not a dark or dingy area, it just doesn't get direct sunlight. If I can, I'll get a picture.

Currently I have a very small money tree that's hardly a ft in length. I've had it since august and it seems to be doing quite fine, though I guess one side grows more generously than the other. The only problem I seem to have with it, is that it's growing too slow (had it since august and only one (5) leaf per shoot has arose) and the soil seems to have this wierd sort of fungal matter growing atop the soil. It doesn't look like anything dangerous, doesn't appear to have any spores or anything, and they're very tiny (again, picture asap).

Right well anyways. Anyone have any ideas for good, small houseplants that I can keep in this little area of my room?

Ty!
by tkhooper on November 14, 2006 12:28 PM
Coleus will take indirect or partial shade areas. Or if you get one of the new light bulbs and put a lamp over there you could probably do a jade plant. Just realize that jade will do a leaf drop if they go from bright direct light to indirect light to quickly.

-
 -
by dodge on November 15, 2006 10:23 AM
I have my Orchid in the north window, no sun..It prefers that. Christmas cactus prefer that.
Those small heartshaped vines love that window.Dont know the name.

I bet Impatient plants too.....

dodge [thinker]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by margaret e. pell on November 15, 2006 01:19 PM
Philodendrons and pothos (dodge's heartshaped vines) and Sansevieria will do well there. Your "wierd sort of fungal matter growing atop the soil" is probably from not letting the soil dry out enough between waterings. Scrape it off, put on some new soil, and let it dry to an inch or so down before watering again.

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Super_Noob on November 16, 2006 09:44 AM
Sounds great. Thanks for the responses!
by TomR on November 19, 2006 10:36 AM
Spider plant, Ivy, Pothos, nerve plant, shefflerra.

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by NewtothePot on November 21, 2006 09:05 PM
My suggestion is a coleus of some sort. They can grow in any light type, and are easy to care for. I know, from personal experience, that they can come back from even being uprooted a couple times. For some reason, my cats love them. But, they are very hardy and the one I got a couple years ago it overgrowing my room! Jut my input.
by dodge on November 21, 2006 09:18 PM
coleus?????????

Mine dropped dead inside in the north window,
That does suprise me.

Maybe I am not fit for Coleus......Ha ha
I have my prioritys..
;o)

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum