The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Umbrella Plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: umberella grass yum?| Next thread: umbrella plant »
Back to Thread index
by Andrea D. on February 20, 2005 11:30 PM
Hi all. I am a new member to this site and am a very novice gardener - you may receive a few posts from me with questions [Smile]

I have an umbrella plant (given to us by a friend) that seems to be healthy, however, it is about 6 feet tall and only has leaves at the very top of the plant and gets a few sproutings as the bottom every once in a while. The stalk (is this the right terminology) looks brown and very dry (reminds me of a dead tree). Is my plant sick? Is it healthy and needs to be cut? Can these plants be cut? If so, what is the proper way to do this?

I guess it's pretty obvious I have no clue what to do so would appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks.
by Jiffymouse on February 21, 2005 02:32 AM
if you are refering to a schefflera, then if you want to cut it back to make it bushier, then go ahead, but bear in mind that it might take a while to bush out. also, i wouldn't cut it back until it has sprouts from the bottom. the top will not likely root as they have to be rooted from true "green wood" cuttings.

as for the stalk reminding you of a dead tree, that is because it is a woody, tree-like plant and the stalk does indeed turn brown. if it isn't ugly, and is healthy, i'd leave it alone if you have room for it. if not, by all means, cut it back!
by Andrea D. on February 21, 2005 03:18 AM
I'd like to post a picture of my plant to show you what I'm talking about, but I'm not sure how to do that. Can you tell me what I should do.
by Jiffymouse on February 22, 2005 03:09 AM
check out this discussion on free photo sites... most of them work pretty well... and a link is as good as a picture...

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: umberella grass yum?| Next thread: umbrella plant »
Back to Thread index