The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

help i have a yellowing plant.....

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by rania on November 03, 2006 11:46 PM
my husband bought me a beautiful gardenia shrub. it was quite lovely in the summer out side. but now that i have brought it in the leaves are turning yellow and falling off. and their is mold growing on the top layer of soil ... can someone help solve this problem before it dies... thanks a head of time.
rania
by Star Dancer on November 05, 2006 07:14 PM
Gardenias are difficult plants to maintain indoors where it is difficult to meet their light, humidity and temperature requirements, particularly in winter. Gardenias prefer bright direct light, high humidity and temperatures at this time of year in the 50's-60's. Any deficiencies in the above requirements can cause leaf yellowing and drop.

Gardenias prefer moist (but not soggy wet) soil, which also provides ideal incubation conditions for mold spores, which might have already been lying dormant in the soil or recently added by airborne spores. Mold generally won't harm your plants, however, many people are allergic to mold. The usual method of ridding soil of mold is to gently scrape away the mold, along with a 1/2" or so of soil to ensure thorough removal of all the rhizomes and spores. Keeping the soil a bit drier might discourage further mold infestations, however, too dry will be detrimental to your gardenia.

Even experienced gardeners have limited success keeping Gardenias alive indoors in less than ideal conditions, so don't be too discouraged if yours doesn't make it. Probably the best you can hope for is to keep the plant alive throughout the winter, without expectations of it looking like much, then placing it outdoors again when the weather warms.

Best of luck,
Star
by rania on November 06, 2006 11:39 PM
thanks for the big help star. I think i know why its not doing well . not enough direct light . i have a bright window its in but it is indirect light. i might have to send it too my mothers house.
thanks agian,
becca

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: