The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Watering Orchids

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
by tkhooper on November 01, 2006 10:22 PM
Ok I had to do it. I turned the heat on. Now my orchids dry out fast. I mean really fast. I was soaking them once a week and misting them 2 times a day. But that isn't enough anymore.

Could I soak them 2 to 3 times a week and keep to the old misting Schedule? When I soak them I leave them in a bowl of water for 20 minutes. They are in orchid mix potting soil so there isn't anything to hold the moisture.

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on November 01, 2006 10:39 PM
Here's how I know when to water my orchids.

I keep a skinny bamboo skewer stuck all the way down into my orchid pot. I pull the skewer out and (don't laugh) "feel" it with my lips. If I can feel moisture on the skewer, I don't water. If the skewer feels dry, I water.

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by tkhooper on November 01, 2006 10:54 PM
That sounds like a plan. Any ideas where I can find some bamboo skewers? A kitchen place maybe? Would regular wood work? I have some of that rough stuff in their pots for them to grow on.

-
 -
by tkhooper on November 01, 2006 10:56 PM
Oh guess what I saw today. The one that is growing best has two little nodes growing right above where it comes out of the bark. is that some more of it's roots? Or is it trying to create more stems?

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on November 01, 2006 11:08 PM
quote:
I have some of that rough stuff in their pots for them to grow on.

Probably what I have...sorta looks like bark chips. [dunno]

I got my skewers at Wal-Mart...100 in a pack for less than 2 bucks. They also have them at most of the "Everything Costs A Dollar" stores, and even the grocery store.

quote:
The one that is growing best has two little nodes growing right above where it comes out of the bark. is that some more of it's roots? Or is it trying to create more stems?

Hmmm...hard to say without seeing it, but you will be able to tell pretty soon. When a new stem pops out it doesn't take long to shoot right up there! [thumb]

-
 -
 -
by tkhooper on November 03, 2006 09:12 PM
Thanks Cindy.

-
 -
by TomR on November 04, 2006 08:50 PM
What kind of orchid is it? Each type has different watering practices. Phals can't be allowed to dry out yet Phal type dendrobiums and Oncidiums can dry out between waterings.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
by tkhooper on November 04, 2006 11:15 PM
Nor doesn't remember which kind one is the other is Golden Shower. I haven't let them dry out although now it is a constant fight to keep them moist. The orchid potting soil doesn't hold moisture at all and with the baseboard heating even the humidity tray isn't helping. I'll take any and all suggestions. I don't want to loose them after they have traveled all the way from Mayalasia.

-
 -
by afgreyparrot on November 05, 2006 06:21 AM
quote:
Phals can't be allowed to dry out
YIKES! [shocked] That's what mine are!
...but they grow and bloom...I haven't killed them yet! [Big Grin]

-
 -
 -
by loz on November 05, 2006 06:30 AM
quote:
I pull the skewer out and (don't laugh) "feel" it with my lips.
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Sorry but you were asking for it! [tongue]
by dodge on November 06, 2006 09:40 AM
tkhooper,

Those little things growing out of the pot, are roots that means it needs a larger pot..
I have a plastic tray under mine and I soak it till the water runs into that .....I have moss on the top, which holds water.. That is how I bought mine....With moss on top.......Tk I think I got mey (bark charcoal ) from you.. My orchid is since been growing new wider leaves and now it looks like a straight stem is coming on, to bloom again.......I hope..

dodge
barb [clappy]

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by tkhooper on November 06, 2006 08:36 PM
Fantastic! I'm glad it liked the bark potting soil. I hope you can take pictures when it blooms.

-
 -
by dodge on November 06, 2006 08:54 PM
tkhooper,

It sure does like your soil........
I will send a photo.. Even the leaves got so much larger and greener..
I know nothing about Orchids.......Just that I bought it to satisfy my hunger........An you add the soil..ha ha
What a great bunch we are on here.......thanks for helping, tk..
I will definately put a photo on here. the stem is about 4 inches now.

dodge
aka barb

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''

Active Garden Forum

Search The Garden Helper: