The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Coleus...do i like them or not???

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Coleus| Next thread: Coleus, et al »
Back to Thread index
by Amy R. on February 16, 2005 05:45 AM
I just bought a ginormous Coleus in a hanging basket, and now that I've got it home, I'm not so sure I like it. I was a bit disappointed that it is mainly grown as an annual, as I can't be bothered with things that don't stick around for a while. Also, it had a jillion gorgeous flowers on it, which I naturally cut off immediately because I have always had a secret fantasy of becoming a hair dresser. Wait, that didn't come out right, you know why I cut them off. I guess my long winded question to you, fellow horticulturists, is what can I do to keep my Coleus looking fine besides posting a free sign on it?
by weezie13 on February 16, 2005 07:11 AM
Amy,
Take cuttings..........
They root unbelievably easy in water in a very
short time, and start a hole new basket of plants.

Almost can stick around for ever that way!!!

Weezie

P/S Some of the coleus's out they have now
adays are sooooooooooo beautiful!!!!
So many choices!!!

Weezie

Don't forget to be kind to strangers. For some who have
done this have entertained angels without realizing it.
- Bible - Hebrews 13:2

-
 -
 -

http://photobucket.com/albums/y250/weezie13/
by Cricket on February 16, 2005 12:15 PM
Hi Amy! [wayey]

I haven't had a chance to be here today but couldn't resist a peek at what I missed before heading off to bed.

Your new baby will fulfill your all fantasies - hairdressing that is. [Embarrassed] Haircuts just make it a bushier plants and Weezie is right, just pop the cuttings into a glass of water and when you return a few days later, voila roots!

Coleus likes bright light - some varieties show their color better in shade but they all scorch in direct sun. No hot Arizona southern exposure for this baby - an easter exposure is good.

Coleus is an annual but if you vigilantly pinch off flowers as they develop, you can keep it going for a few years. But if it does go to seed, just start another one from cuttings.

My coleus liked lots of water before a bug held a feast one night for all his friends and neigbors, with the entree of honor being...you guessed it. [Frown] Overnight the poor plant was eaten, leaves, stems and all. No, it wasn't a slug (indoors) but an equally voracious party-goer.

I love the colors of coleus, especially the magentas. Do you have a pic?

Presumably you bought your new coleus baby while out shopping for a gardenia. [thumb] Did you get it? Huh? Huh? :grinnnn
by Amy R. on February 16, 2005 08:55 PM
thanks for all the tips, comrades. and cricket, i have a case of gardenia stage fright! i found a gorgeous one yesterday, in bloom and ever-so-fragrant, so i picked it up, and then this mysterious force made me put it back down. i didn't want to bring it home and kill it, lol! i am going to try again today, and if i am successful, i will post a pic on our insane gardenia thread.
here is a pic of my coleus, although it is much more vibrant in person.

http://tinypic.com/1r3cit

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Coleus| Next thread: Coleus, et al »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: