The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Venus Fly Trap, help me, he has my arm......

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Venus Fly Trap| Next thread: Venus Fly Trap, Open Bud »
Back to Thread index
by Nomytaker on January 18, 2005 11:47 PM
No, seriously now.
I'm pretty new to this Garndering lark. I went to my local Garden and Pets Shop to buy some fish (I think). And the Venus Fly Trap display caught my eye (Well actually the side of my coat caught the tray that they were on, and I nearly pulled it of the shelf, but I Digress.), it was at this point that I went back to my child hood (some what five years), that I remembered I had a "Grow your own Venus Fly Trap". Which never grew. So I unhooked my coat from the tray, and retreated to the Aquarium part of the shop, (I must write that the fish I got that day, actually died two days later, but I Digress once again. I will get to my point, eventually..... trust me.)
Anyway, it must have last October I believe that I stood in my place of work, bored out of my head. On new hobbies to try (Yes my last Hobby before this was fish keeping, and yes I sucked at it, although I have one fish left.), and I don't know what took me to think of it, but the Venus Fly trap I saw in the Garden Shop, sprung to my mind. And off I went and brought it.

Anyway, like I said I'm pretty new to this gardening lark, so here are my questions.....
1.)Do Venus Fly Traps have Flowers?
2.)If so does anyone have a good picture of one?
3.)There is No third Question.

Thanks in Advance.

VIVA LA RAZA
by afgreyparrot on January 19, 2005 02:29 AM
Welcome to the forum!

Venus Fly Trap

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Cricket on January 19, 2005 05:35 AM
Welcome to the forum! [wayey]

Hope you stick around - you'll fit right in here! [Big Grin]
by Nomytaker on January 19, 2005 07:27 PM
Afgreyparrot, that's the page, that I found this forum from. It doesn't have my answers on it. Although it did tell me why it had stopped eatting flies. But it has nothing on the Flowers, Sorry.

Hello Cricket. [wayey]

VIVA LA RAZA
by afgreyparrot on January 19, 2005 09:17 PM
Hey, there's member here (Phoebe, aka "Nako") that knows all about Venus Fly Traps, and has a bunch of them. She will be checking in today, probably. I'll PM her and tell her to check out this topic. I'm very sure she can help you.

And, you will be entertained, as well, by her "way with words"!
She's a trip!

Cindy

-
 -
 -
Buckle up! It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car!
by Nomytaker on January 19, 2005 10:26 PM
Thanks Afgreyparrot.

VIVA LA RAZA
by Nako on January 20, 2005 08:48 PM
Hiiiiiiiiiiii! I'm Phoebe! [flower]

Anywho, about ur venus flytrap. Have you made sure you know how to care for it properly? Do u know all the light/soil/humidity/temperature requirements? Well fear not, because i have a page for you! here ya go! The Venus' Flytrap Page!!

Oh, and you wanted a picture of the flowers ^.^ Well here's a few good ones that i found a while ago that really show how weird they grow o.O Ur not supposed to let them flower though, cuz it'll weaken the plant, and due to tissue culture, your flytrap's DNA is weak, and it can kill its own traps with its own digestive juices when it eats a bug >.o but fear not! the flowers will return!

Oh ya ^.^ here's those flower pictures!
Multiple flowers
A new bud growing!
A good pic of one, but the plant's blurry
Lotsa flowers!

Hope that helps!

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by Nomytaker on January 21, 2005 08:48 PM
Thanks Nako. Hopefully, I've got everything it needs, it's in shade (O.K. it's on my windowsill, and it gets about two hours of sunshire.) , soil is the stuff that came with it, (it was half started in a pot.) plus I always keep the soil moist. But humidity and temperature requirements, I am not to sure on. (Actually I have no idea on.)

Yeah, I heard that making the traps close purposely was bad for it. Oh another question,
After it had reopened a trap it would start to rot (well it went brown on the tips and started to spread), is this natural, or not? (By the way, I cutted ((is cutted a word)) of the bits that went brown.)

VIVA LA RAZA
by Amy R. on January 21, 2005 09:29 PM
Hi Nomytaker,
According to the info on my little trapsters,
"After 3 trap closings, the leaf will turn black and a new one will begin to grow".
So I think it's all a part of the process. Good luck!
by njoynit on January 22, 2005 07:04 AM
Phobe...Thats a kewl site.I wandered in there a few weeks ago.I convinced myself I can grow a pitcherplant vine in a hanging basket on my porch(my screened in--plasticted cold greenhouse....plastic removed soon too...maybe 50 days"ain't THAT exciteing!!" [perplexed] )

A about a month ago in lowes..I seen these lil boxes..plastic& were .25 I thought them was dead freeze burnt thinggys.PLEASE don't tell me I should have scarffed them up...I almost did just for them lil plastic 2 inch square boxes.were fly traps.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by Nako on January 24, 2005 06:13 PM
from what i've seen, the best place to grow one is in a greenhouse, unless you live in the place where they come from: georgia, south carolina, or somewhere around there. But ya, if you want the best results with them, keep em nice and warm *above 65 degrees F*.

as for the leaves turning black and falling off, yes that is a natural thing. What happens, is that each leave can only close up to about 12 times if its nice and healthy. You can tell if your flytrap is healthy or not by the color of it. If its healthy, there will be a pretty red pigment inside mature traps. This is one of those plants that looks like you should tinker with it, but really, the more you play with it, the worse it'll do >.< I learned that the hard way [Frown]

So ya, what i do, is when the leaves die, i leave em on the plant, until they've fallen off on their own. If you flush water through it every once in a while *good drainage is important*, you'll be able to clean the plant, and prevent any mold buildup from the dead leaves on it [thumb]

Hope that helps ^.^

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -
by njoynit on January 28, 2005 10:38 PM
Well.I may not have bought those lil boxes with dead looking fly traps......BUT.I did NOT pass up the nepanthus pitcher plant in hanging basket at my new super wallyworld.My 1st trip to store& to Town PERIOD for the new year.It has 23 pitchers(I counted) looks to be 3 possibly 4 lil plants.I belive when they aquired them they didn't ship to well one side of plant has a few damaged pitchers& I would almost SWEAR one has a lil red edgeing to it where the other is solid green.I worked my way chooseing between 18 plants.chose one with the most in it and the best shape.I been pouring through sites with pics& have figured its a highland.tag just says hybrids.so PHOBE! what chance do I have of them possibly planting up 2 different plants?I think the smaller stuff I see is is suckering.I am ging to re pot it to a different hanging pot(I'm thinking of orchiad mix& am wondering if can use wire basket lined with spagum moss(long) or cocoa fiber.)For right now I have it in bedroom(no drafts stays around 64-68 most the time unless we get a bunch of sun.I set in window with other plants then move to top of computer tower at night(no draft) 4 of the pitchers on side that are damaged...are brown at the tip,but not going to the stem part and one has a hole in the pitcher.my largest pitcher is a hair over 2 inches(ya know if hold thumb up beside...they look similar.I'm gonna water with rain water.
and I need this thing about off sets explained.It was mentioned on a site but not much detail or pics,mentioned removeing off sets.but it showed a picture of one that had set seeds after blooming,but not the actuall bloom itself.and do they self pollinate?it didn't even mention that part.I'm wanting to say black jungle or something close or similar(TGH would not function for me yesterday it was in error all day and told me I was forbidden access.I thought hubby called bill.lol)

I found this link& think the 3rd one is mine
http://www.biol.vt.edu/greenhouse/plantlist/MAGNOLIOPHYTA9.htm I wish the 2nd had a better shot,but oh well.I'll keep searching.but is another in pot and that one has some very faint reding(is that right?reding?or is red coloring?)The other good sized plant has like 5 damaged pitchers one with the hole the damage is at top part,but remainer of the pitchers still hold water ceept for the blow out one and those have just the sightest touch of red around the rim& the younger ones I guess don't show it or are cause are under the foliage(I can fix that with re potting...the light on those I mean) then that has me back to the seed thing.self fertile or pollinateing.and what bugs can I scarf up for my plants nutrition?I gave it a 3 cm brownish gray cricket.fit& dropped in easy. I'll try to get my pics done this weekend hopefully.Men are just always full of excuses it seems...........He's playing Army war game.

-
 -
I will age ungracefully until I become an old woman in a small garden..doing whatever the Hell I want!

http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit03
http://community.webshots.com/user/njoynit
http://photos.yahoo.com/njoynit03
by JustAGirl on February 03, 2005 03:29 AM
I'm glad this subject came up. It was very interesting reading. I've had venus fly trap for about a year. I have it in a pretty good sized fish bowl. I leave it in my living room window and it's doing great. The traps have gotten pretty large. I however have never witnessed any flowers growing from it..so if it ever does happen I'm glad I'll know what it looks like and what to do. [flower]

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Venus Fly Trap| Next thread: Venus Fly Trap, Open Bud »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: