The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Kalanchoe that won't bloom

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2005
« Prev thread: Kalanchoe stickiness| Next thread: Kalanchoe thrysifolia »
Back to Thread index
by reb on February 01, 2005 05:57 AM
I got a flowering kalanchoe as a gift. It bloomed nicely for about 2 months, and have since repotted it. The foliage is very thick and fast growing, but it just won't flower any more. Any suggestions. I live in New York City, and my only exposure is to the north.
by obywan59 on February 01, 2005 06:43 AM
Kalanchoes don't bloom year round. Trim any faded blooms if you haven't already, and water regularly. Fertilize every 2-4 weeks as new growth begins. Trim plant to encourage compact growth. Buds appear in the fall and need 14 hours of darkness nightly for 3-4 weeks to reflower.

-
Terry

May the force be with you
by Carly on February 01, 2005 08:43 AM
I dunno' about that - my kalanchoes seem to burst out every six weeks or so - winter, summer, whatever - put them in the window, they're making their flowers.

I potted little stubs of them and gave them out for Christmas in the building here - 3 tenants told me this weekend that theirs are blooming.

Give it time - it'll take ya' there.

And you'll always have kalanchoes - hoo boy! Do they grow or what?

-
When sorting seeds, do not whistle.
by Carly on February 02, 2005 04:04 PM
I took another shot of this one yesterday (with you in mind).

Here's the one I have in the lobby of the building where it gets a lot of sun - this one isn't flowering yet.

-

Thanks to Image Shack

http://reg.imageshack.us

You will notice there's a lot of soil where nothing's doing - there were a lot of leaf droppings in there - they've all been poked back into the soil.

I'll keep you posted on this and put another image up when they sprout (which is quickly).

-
by Jiffymouse on February 03, 2005 07:41 PM
hey carly, i fixed your one picture, you need to repost the other one, it wouldn't work. good looking plant for where you are, i grow mine outdoors all but 2 months here!
by Carly on February 04, 2005 07:37 AM
Oh, was there another?

I fixed the one pic - from what I can see, I had too many files loaded up to Image Shack - that's why I'm getting only thumbnails.

I keep it inside in winter - it goes out in spring and comes back in about October. I never put them in the ground, not even in summer - you can if you live in Arizona or something, but you can't do it up here.

This stuff started with two little stubs in 95 - I ended up with a forest of it. A lot of it was given away in pots at Christmas. All recipients are reporting flowers right now.

Thanks on that one, Jiffy :-)

-
by TomR on February 06, 2005 03:38 AM
quote:
Originally posted by reb:
I got a flowering kalanchoe as a gift. It bloomed nicely for about 2 months, and have since repotted it. The foliage is very thick and fast growing, but it just won't flower any more. Any suggestions. I live in New York City, and my only exposure is to the north.
You need a lot more light. A north exposure is no where near enough for that plant. Flourescent lights would work well, placed an inch or 2 above the plant. Also, it probably needs more fertilizer.

Tom

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Kalanchoe stickiness| Next thread: Kalanchoe thrysifolia »
Back to Thread index