The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

New Palm (to me)

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: new orchid turning yellow| Next thread: new peace lily owner »
Back to Thread index
by NewtothePot on October 06, 2006 09:44 AM
Hey, I got a bug problem.

My friend just gave me a palm- I think it is the parlor palm-- I'll try to get a picture up shortly, and I think that it has some bugs that I would like to prevent from spreading to my other plants. (I have FINALLY gotten rid of fungus gnats my venus fly traps gave me). What measures and actions do I take against this palm/bugs? It is a fairly full plant, and I would really like to keep it with the rest of my plants, but, as I said earlier, I would like to keep them all safe. What should I do? It is currently in a different room to keep them separate. Thanks!!
by NewtothePot on October 06, 2006 10:26 AM
Let's see if these images work...

-
 -
 -
 -
by NewtothePot on October 06, 2006 10:30 AM
Here are some more...

-
 -
 -
 -
 -
by NewtothePot on October 06, 2006 10:30 AM
Please give me some help regarding removing pests from my plant!! Thanks!!
by DowntoEarth on October 07, 2006 03:17 AM
I'm not sure what kind of palm you have [dunno] but it's not a parlor palm. But whatever Palm it is, it's gorgeous! [thumb]

For the spidermites, try a few drops of a mild dish soap and water solution in a spray bottle either spray the fronds outdoors if it's not too cold, or in the tub (I would cover the soil) with something like plastic Walmart bags.
Or, you can try using about an inch of rubbing alcohol, the rest water in a spray bottle. Spray every leaf including underneath until it looks like it's raining from the palm. If you miss any of those nasty mites, they will come back!
You might have to do this treatment once a week or so for a few weeks.
by RugbyHukr on October 07, 2006 10:58 PM
looks like a phoenix specie

-
I love the sweet scents wafting in the breeze. I stop to admire the vibrant colors of all living things. And people think me odd. Then ODD I am!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/flugnash
by Aaron D on October 09, 2006 10:55 AM
looks like a Kentia Palm to me looks just like the ones i care for at my job do what Downtoearth said when i care for mine at my job i try to rub off the spider mites and spray gerously with a soapy solution to keep pests away... spraying on a frequent basis keeps them away for sure, and it will smell nice too [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] but dont worry a large Kentia palm wont be bothered from mites...
by NewtothePot on October 09, 2006 08:02 PM
Thanks for the help, I haven't gotten to give it it's bath yet, but I will! What kind of light conditions would this or any kind of palm require?
by DowntoEarth on October 10, 2006 01:20 AM
Palms do well in bright indirect light, or dapple sun.Direct hot sun can burn the fronds.
by NewtothePot on October 10, 2006 08:41 AM
Just as a small fact, I found out from my friend that this is a Majesty Palm.
by DowntoEarth on October 10, 2006 10:50 AM
Glad you found out what kind of palm you have.

I have heard that the "Majesty Palm" can be a challenge to keep indoors.
That this particular palm needs A LOT of light and it also has certain watering needs.
So just know, if anything goes wrong down the line,(not that it will) it's most likely not the care your giving it.It can be fussy!

Good luck with your pretty palm [thumb]

Has anyone else heard the same thing about these palms?

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: new orchid turning yellow| Next thread: new peace lily owner »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: