The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Articifial Lighting for Jade plant

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2004
« Prev thread: Artichoke Worries| Next thread: Artificial Light »
Back to Thread index
by brockz on May 01, 2004 10:36 AM
i just bought a healthy jade plant a few days ago aa an indoor plant. However, since almost all the window in my house are north-facing, the plant does not get enough light. I have read that jades require bright light. I was thinking maybe someone could tell me what kinda artificial lighting i could provide for the jade. thanks!

Accept Risk. Accept Responsibility. Put a Lawyer out of Business
by Chrissy on May 01, 2004 03:50 PM
Hi [wayey] I have a couple of Jade plants living indoors under lights. I use the reptile light fixtures with full spectrum grow bulbs in them & they are doing great.

-
 -
z5b
by Jiffymouse on May 01, 2004 05:48 PM
when i worked in an office without windows, i had mine hanging about 6-10 inches under my flourescent desk light (it was one of those under cabinet ones). grew fine for 6 years that way.
by Will Creed on May 01, 2004 10:13 PM
Given a choice between a north windowsill and under a fluorescent or grow light, your Jade would prefer the windowsill. Better yet, try the north window supplemented with a standard fluorescent light.
by brockz on May 02, 2004 10:12 PM
hi all...and thanks for all your replies. sorry for the late reply.

i tried the fluorescent light suggestion mostly cause i had the "tools" in-house. the plant seems to respond to it and the number of leaves falling has dramatically reduced. i can't keep it at the windowsill since its in the kitchen and the stoves are very near the window. but i do give them the morning sun for a few hours that i receive it. i'll see how that turns out in a few days. thanks again to all [Smile]

Accept Risk. Accept Responsibility. Put a Lawyer out of Business
by Nako on May 04, 2004 07:06 AM
I use a desk lamp, and a black light. Seems to work okay ^.^ desk lamp is nice and hot, so it keeps the plant warm in the cold atmosphere of the room. the area under the lamp and blacklight is around 75-80 degrees F, and outside the light is around 65-75ish. I donno. Seems to be working well here ^.^

~Phoebe

Nako's Webshots!
 -
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: Artichoke Worries| Next thread: Artificial Light »
Back to Thread index

Search The Garden Helper: