The Garden Helper

Helping Gardeners Grow Their Dreams since 1997.

No-dash-here, you've found The Real Garden Helper! Gardening on the Web since 1997

Grow Lights

Gardening Reference » Gardening in 2006
« Prev thread: GROW LIGHTS| Next thread: Grow your own potatoes? »
Back to Thread index
by Amber Petersen on September 11, 2006 11:36 PM
Hi. I want to keep a mini-garden going this winter. I live in an apartment with low light the only windows I have are North and East, but the east is blocked with an electrical plant beside us. But I have this DANDY closet that would be good to grow a couple things in. But I have not a clue about grow lights. I thought there was a few posts on here a few months ago about lights but I can't seem to find them anymore. Could anyone tell me the basics...and the cheaper the better. I know you can get those little set ups from like Lee Valley but they're a little out of my price range...
Thanks a bunch --Am

-
Amber
by joclyn on September 12, 2006 10:21 AM
i've got a plant stand that uses the fluorescent tube lights - the bulbs i use are the kind for plants not the regular kind.

you don't need to keep your plants in a closet to use grow lights! any place that you can mount a fluorescent tube fixture can be used for growing plants - a kitchen counter top, a table in your living room (attach the fixture to the wall) or even an old bookcase. there are even small-size tubes that can be used in desk lamps.

north facing windows are good for any plant that needs low-light or indirect light.
by margaret e. pell on September 12, 2006 10:30 PM
Pet stores often have fluourescent tubes intended for aquarium hoods that are great for plants!

-

may God bless the WHOLE world!
by Amber Petersen on September 13, 2006 10:48 PM
ah...pet stores...good thinking

-
Amber
by dodge on September 14, 2006 08:21 AM
Pet stores.......wow thanks ..

Your a real charm.....

dodge

-
 -
''''Those who live in the Lord Never See Each Other For The Last Time!''''
by joclyn on September 14, 2006 12:38 PM
yes, pet stores may have the lights for the aquariums.

home depot and lowes will have a larger selection - lengths as well as light type (there are a ton of different types of fluorescent light ranges). they will also sell the fixtures if you need them as well as the tubes.
by dodge on September 14, 2006 08:35 PM
joclyn

thanks

dodge

-
 -
by tkhooper on September 14, 2006 10:06 PM
I bought a shop light and two florescent bulbs for less than 10.00 at Lowes. The only thing I would suggest with this assemble would be additional chain so you can raise and lower it as necessary.

-
 -
by dodge on September 14, 2006 10:46 PM
tkhooper,

Did that include the hardware to use it with?

dodge

-
 -
by tkhooper on September 15, 2006 04:44 AM
you mean the two hooks to hang it up with? I had them sitting around the house. But they are only a couple of dollars.

-
 -
by dodge on September 15, 2006 05:11 AM
tk

I meant the part where you plug in the tubes.

Holders.

dodge

-
 -

Active Garden Forum

« Prev thread: GROW LIGHTS| Next thread: Grow your own potatoes? »
Back to Thread index